Thread: New (to Me) Congas

User Info Menu

Default New (to Me) Congas

An acquaintance of mine had a pair of CP congas that he wasn't using. He bought them used, so he did not know how old the were. I have no idea what they are worth, but I offered him $100 for them, which he accepted. I looked of a serial number to see if they could be dated. I found what looked like dates hand written on the inside of each drum. They looked like dates. If they are, the drums were made in 1995. The conga is 10 1/2" and the quinto is 9.5". They are 28" tall. They came with a stand. I hope I didn't rip the guy off. They are red, and I don't mean wine red, I mean RED. I'll post pics when I take some tomorrow.

I am basically self-taught on my hand drums. Are there any good videos for learning to play these things properly?

Thanx,
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Unhappy Re: New (to Me) Congas

Jack,
    Welcome to conga playing. The formal name for a musician playing congas is conguero.

Regarding these CP congas, do they have chrome plated hardware? The chrome plated hardware CP congas are quite respectable compared with the rest of the LP line.

A good up grade for these congas is some new heads. I reccomend the REMO Skyndeep line and choose the 10" and 11" Aspire conga head size and that should fit just fine. I will double check this tomorrow because I have 2 heads that I have that are for this purpose. The 10" has a 9 3/4" head and the 11" has a 10 3/4" head. This is odd but this how it works.

There are many good demonstration aids at congaplace and a wealth of additional information. Unfortunately Congaplace is not always as civil as this site.

Enjoy your drums. The best drums for anybody is the drums that they currently have.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New (to Me) Congas

As promised:

The other drum has 5-8-95 written in it.

The hardware has no rust, so I think they might be chrome plated.

Quoth Jerry Bembe: "The best drums for anybody is the drums that they currently have." To which I'd like to add, the best drums for anybody are the ones they play. I plan on having loads of fun. I've seen the recommendations for the Remo heads in other threads here. I have a couple of Remo djembes. Each has a different type of head, but they're both great. I am tempted not only to replace the heads on these congas but to get new ones for my Aspire bongos, too. In fact, if I find that I can only afford to do one, I'd replace the bongo heads first.

As to the civility on this site, it is top-notch. I think someone with no intention of playing drums who stumbled onto this site would at least go out and get some bongos and get started. I did find a recomendation for a DVD at Congoplace.

Thank you for your welcome to the brotherhood of congueros. It seems to be a great bunch.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

These are not the style of CP I was refeering to but they are a great set for a beginner-intermediate player.

I would post a picture of what I am talking about but I am unable to upload this attachement.

I truly believe in supporting all players with whatever equipment they have. I have seen excellent players with modest equipment playing some smokin' grooves. It is the player that makes the instrument not the instrument that makes the player. A great instrument and great player is a perfect match but we do not live in a perfect world.

Enjoy your new set.

Regards

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your congas. As far as instruction goes I highly recommend the Tomas Cruz Conga Method especially volumes one and two. He does a great job teaching you the basics book one and then teaching a nice amount of rhythms in the second book. I don't own volume 3, so I can't comment on it. Also if you're looking for free video lessons there's a wealth of information on youtube. Some of the videos are pretty bad, but I'd say the majority of them will teach you proper technique and really help you. Hope this helps and enjoy your drums.

User Info Menu

Jerry Bembe;

I recently bought a set of CP congas that match your description. They have the welded rings instead of the stamped ones. I'm quite proud of my find and the sound is good. You suggested new Remo heads.. my question is which ones. MF has a number of different models.. I think D1, D2, etc. How do I know which to select? Thanks for the help.

User Info Menu

Remo heads do not have an absolute true size when it comes to hand percussion. The guides work relatively well with newer models but with vintage and custom hand built instruments it can get allot trickier.

I have been successful with modifying REMO heads to meet my needs with vintage Gon Bops, Valje, Afro and Resolution congas. The fit of the head to the bearing edge is rather critical but Nuskyn can be soaked in water to soften the head a bit for tight fits (+ 1/8"). I have had to cut or file the aluminum retaining ring to deal with hardware issues (tight crowns).

Also synthetic heads are usually ringier so there is often a need to dampen heads to meet your tonal needs. (This is not always the case though)

Enjoy your drums and play that thing!

Jerry

User Info Menu

OOPS! I forgot to answer your question and post the link for sizing REMO heads. On page 34 (38 double pages) is the drum head sizing info. This guide is only a guideline because not all drum size names are true. For example many 9 3/4" and 10 3/4" drums are called 10" and 11" respectively.

The link:

http://issuu.com/remopercussion/docs...catalog_2010/1

Cheers,

Jerry

User Info Menu

WOW what a coincidence that I see this. Hope you don't mind me adding mine here but I just bought a set of Meinl Headliners for $75 from craigslist.. They are in good shape few scrathes and one of the mounting clamps is missing as well as a mount I guess. Have never played Conga's and know little about them but I had a hair so what the hay.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Hey, Machinedrum, you got some beauts there. Have fun.
    Jack

User Info Menu

Thanks Jack yours are gorgeous and seem to be in better shape then mine. I definetly need to price a stand. Do you have a beginning Conga book? Can anyone recommend one..preferably one with a dvd?

Thanks
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

This one was recommended at Congaplace.com "Introduction To The Conga Drum" by
    Mike Spiro. The reviews on Amazon's site were good, so I ordered it this morning. I also play at an open mic/jam session every other Tuesday with an experienced percussionist. He showed me a couple of things.
    Jack

User Info Menu

machine; I think you got taken and because I feel so bad for you will will give you what you paid for those drums and you can just send them to me...

User Info Menu

Cool Re: New (to Me) Congas

Where do I start?

Well, Jack, welcome to the brotherhood of congueros (and yes, the sisterhood of congueras!) from the guy whose nickname is a contraction of "bongo brother." Those CPs look quite similar to my own CPs, which I purchased in the summer of 1996, and if your experience with them is anything like mine, you will love playin' them and seeing what kinds of sounds you'll get out of them.

Good call, man!

And MDK, you weren't taken...you should be able to find the missing parts by looking for a Meinl dealer or googling their website...

I have an older pair of Meinl bongos that I bought used at a pawn shop some years ago, and it took only a little cleaning and tuning to get them soundin' awesome...nothing else had to be replaced!

So from one bongosero/conguero to two others...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by busyflyin View Post
    machine; I think you got taken and because I feel so bad for you will will give you what you paid for those drums and you can just send them to me...
    I wasn't worried about being taken. I thought I might have taken the guy I bought them from.
    Jack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by busyflyin View Post
    LOL, I will keep that in mind bro
    The guy was asking $125 and had them listed as Bongo's ?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    I think you did fine.
    Jack

User Info Menu

Cool Re: New (to Me) Congas

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Hey, MDK, it's sad if ya can't tell the difference between bongos and congas! I once worked with a guy who was learning hand drums, and he had to keep asking me "which are the bongos and which are the congas?"

I almost felt like using him as another conga...

Rock them congas, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Let's not discuss who we want to use as a conga. I was a state emplayee for over 30 years. All of them in human services. Almost 15 of them as a children's protective services worker. You wouldn't believe how many people I wanted to "use as a conga". And, no, they weren't the ones you might think.
    Jack