Thread: only a quick question

User Info Menu

Default only a quick question

ok, 2 questions...

does the alesis dm5 brain support multi trigger pads? (such as a roland dual zone pad) and if it does, how do i go about seeting it up to do so?

thanks for any help.

- Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: only a quick question

Only replying with such awful knowledge because I felt you deserved a reply, from what I can find on the internet it has a dual zone snare - skin and rimshot I assume. But apart from that it seems its snare only, but I would (from my knowledge of browsing around) assume also that the pads are interchangeable? If yes, should be able to alter the sound settings to please you. As of how to do this, haven't the foggiest. But you may need several snare pads? xD I haven't much knowledge on the electronic market sorry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asmorbidus View Post
    ok, 2 questions...

does the alesis dm5 brain support multi trigger pads? (such as a roland dual zone pad) and if it does, how do i go about seeting it up to do so?

thanks for any help.

- Mike
    I'm in the same boat as you. The Alesis DM5's are single trigger inputs. You will need to get an Alesis I/O unit, MIDI that into the DM5 and connect your patch leads into the I/O unit in order to use multi-zone pads. Watch these videos by a guy on YouTube called HopeDrums, he seems to know what's going on. I'm waiting on two I/O units to arrive from Alesis through one of the drum stores here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEvIHrsNgI8"]YouTube - Pintech with Alesis I/O and DM5 1 of 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9doOLtYWkdM"]YouTube - Pintech with Alesis I/O and DM5 2 of 2[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

It does, kind of? For a dual zone trigger, you would need a "Y" splitter and to occupy 2 inputs for a single pad. As an example.. if you wanted a dual zone snare (snare & rim). You need to plug a stereo cable into the pad, then the other end to the single input of the "Y" splitter, then one end of that into the "snare" port of the DM5, the other into an unused input. Then edit the sound assigned to that port to whatever you want. In this example, it would be the snare rim sound.

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    It does, kind of? For a dual zone trigger, you would need a "Y" splitter and to occupy 2 inputs for a single pad. As an example.. if you wanted a dual zone snare (snare & rim). You need to plug a stereo cable into the pad, then the other end to the single input of the "Y" splitter, then one end of that into the "snare" port of the DM5, the other into an unused input. Then edit the sound assigned to that port to whatever you want. In this example, it would be the snare rim sound.

Hope this helps.
    Nope, y-splitters might work for Yamaha and Roland modules, not the Alesis...I was advised that by one shop assistant to try a y-slitter with my Alesis's, didn't work at all. Take it from me, you'll need the Alesis I/O unit MIDI'ed in, just like in the videos I just posted. Stereo cables from the snare input and splitting them with the y-splitter into a dual-trigger pad, does give you the sounds.....BUT no matter how much you go through all the Alesis parameters dealing with cross-talk, sensitivity, etc, the snare head and rim will still cross-talk. No, you definitely need the I/O unit when it comes to the Alesis DM5 module.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

it actually comes with a splitter cable for the snare.

so you can do the same thing with other pads as long as you have enough inputs.

dunc