Thread: Is it feasible to drum in an apartment?

User Info Menu

Question Is it feasible to drum in an apartment?

Hi guys,

I need to know what the general protocall is with respect to playing drums when you live in close proximity to your neighbours e.g. in an apartment or cluster home community. I play drums as a hobby i.e. no intention of being proffesional musician so I still have to do my nine to five everyday and cannot practice when everybody is away. When jamming with band I would like to jam at my pad otherwise I will have to pack-unpack-pack-unpack the kit every week. Right now I live with parents so the setup supports all these requirements but it isn't a permanent solution since I have reached an age where it is no longer apropriate to stay at home. I cannot afford a place big enough that the neighbors are far away. I need some info about what other drummers in the same situation do.

I have seen posts about soundproofing and the general idea seems to be that it is either too expensive or it will just improve the sound quality in the room and not make your neighbors like you any more.

Then there is the idea of silencing your kit which is either:
    a) Electronic kit - I don't feel like buying a new kit.
    b) Neoprene drum mutes - This is a great solution and I have drum mutes but I don't want to play with them on the whole time.
    c) Practice kit - Still feels like buying a second kit and it doesn't even make drummy noises :(

Other posts about what to do when you stay in apartment seems to indicate that you should either practice between noon and 4PM or practice somewhere else.

So what I would like to know is: How many other drummers are out there that actually play acoustic sets and live in apartments?, what time do you practice (with- and without mutes)?, do you have jam sessions with band in the apartment?, how often do the neighbors complain and phone the cops?

I know it is always an option to keep acoustic set somewhere else and only visit it over the weekends. Responses to the above questions will however give me an idea about the socio-psycological (i'm not even sure that is a real term) behavior of non-drumming apartment dwellers so that I have something to base my decision on. I'm sort of feeling that making a move that will negatively impact my favourite pasttime just for the sake of being socially acceptable seems like a sucky idea - maybe I should just live at home until I'm 50

Looking forward to your replies,

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is it feasible to drum in an apartment?

E-kit, its very portable, cheaper than soundproofing, and cheaper than the fines you will get from the police lol.

User Info Menu

Even if you could outlay the cost of "soundproofing an apartment" for an acoustic kit it can never happen. Unless you have an apartment in the basement of the building, the neighbour below you will hear all the bass drum rumble, that is, a muffled bass sound, but it will still be a fair bit audible.....and felt..... because acoustically the sound wave of low sounds have a very different sound curve or frequency which allow them to penetrate most walls.....plus by having your bass drum on the floor (your neighbour's ceiling, in other words), the flooring itself amplifies the bass sound as it will vibrate in sympathy with the bass drum frequency. No, unfortunately an acoustic kit will not endear you to apartment neighbours....for every Slayer fan possible in an apartment block, you are going to have little old ladies wanting their afternoon naps, students who are studying for uni, or factory shift workers who will want their rest and want it now, not giving a damn that you mastered that tricky fill after weeks on end.

Get an electronic set if needs must. And even then, always be on good terms with your neighbours, negotiate suitable practices times (if that is possible in your current situation) and please stick to it, if you do not wish to have frequent visits by the police. With our type of instrument, you cannot be selfish with others in your vicinity. That is just a drummer's lot, as they say.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I would also add that jamming with friends in an apartment is a surefire way to start problems. If you have to go to an apartment, then you should just get used to moving your gear. Again, it's the price that is paid for being a drummer, and for keeping good relations with your neighbors.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    E-kit, its very portable, cheaper than soundproofing, and cheaper than the fines you will get from the police lol.
    Ditto. I play my kit any time of the day I want.

User Info Menu

i live in an apt, i only play my e-kit at home , i wouldnt ever play my acoustic set here . just good headphones and a e-kit is all you need to play whenever you want.. good luck.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I've had the cops at my door many times regardless on how quite I played my acoustic kit when I lived in a duplex/townhouse. E-kit is the way to go. Even then, you'll have to be aware of the noise generated by the sticks hitting the rubber or mesh pads. Vibes can be transmitted through the floor if you live upstairs.

User Info Menu

Depending on how many neighbors you have, you can go ask their thoughts on it. If they're like then I wouldn't go for it. If they're like then.... Negotiate times to play and restrictions, thank them and let them know if they ever have a problem to tell you. Then if they're like then that's perfect.

Aside from that, keep an eye on Craigslist. An E-Kit seems like one of your only other options. There's also special drumheads with foam rings on the inside. Outfit a cheapo practice kit with those, and you get almost the same sound, just super muffled. Much better than rubber pads, ect. Cymbals, dunno what you'd do about them.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Here's that drum head; Remo Muff'ls.

C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I would say get a Practice pad kit and leave your kit at a friends house that you can trust or at your parents
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

I know this may sound crazy but invite them over to hear you play. I played in an apartment (with a band no less) for nearly 10 years. Granted we had cool neighbors but I would jam on my own during the day and never got in trouble. Be cool to them and they are usually cool with you. Agree on times that you will jam and stick to it. If your neighbors are just plain jerks than you may need to get an ekit. Good luck.
    8inch Zildjian splash
    10inch Zildjian ZXT splash
    14inch Zildjian hats
    16inch Zildjian medium thin crash
    19inch Zildjian K Dark thin crash
    22inch Zildjian ping ride
    16inch Wuhan China
    Set is Pearl ELX with Midnight fade and black rims
    14inch snare
    8,10,12,14,16 inch toms
    22inch bass
    13inch Ludwig Black Beauty piccolo snare
    DW 7000 double pedal
    various toys and doo-dads

User Info Menu

I wouldn't ever try playing an acoustic set in an apartment. Even as a drummer, I think I'd be irritated if I had a neighbor playing the drums next door.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

best thing about the e-kit is you can play all hours of the night

User Info Menu

Too bad you aren't pursuing this even semi professionally or I'd say rent a practice space.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Hehe, DLDante's avatar looks like it could be the emoticon for his post; "you want to do WHAT?!?!"

Thanks for you replies everyone, it helps a lot to get other people's viewpoint on the subject.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Is it feasible to drum in an apartment?

Welcome aboard, flyman!

The danger with practicing any musical instrument in an apartment, of course, is the fact you don't have a whole lot of space between you and your neighbors.

Many years ago, my first wife had an electric organ in our apartment and once in a while I would play (or try to play!) songs by ear on the keyboard. (That's another reason to be a drummer; sour notes don't sound so bad on drums!).

One of our other neighbors confused my organ recitals with an upstairs neighbor who played their stereo incessantly--and the apartment manager had to show the annoyed neighbor it was the upstairs neighbor, not me, that was giving them grief! (I gave them permission, so don't freak out about invasion of privacy.)

If nothing else, I'd go for the e-drums and some good headphones to keep practicing....
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

When I was in college my wife and I live in a little appartment building. I think each building had four appartments in it. I just went to all my neighbors and told them I play the drums and asked if it would be okay if I played between 3 and 5 I think. They were all very cool with it. One was an older couple in their sixties and another was a young family with young kids. I just stuck to my schedule and they never said a negative word. The older couple gave me a lot of possitive feedback. As the nonTable said, just feel them out.
    Good luck.
    Tama Superstar (grey pewter)
    Ludwig LM400 snare
    Wuhan China
    Paiste Rude Cymbals
    -14" sound edge hats
    -19" thin crash
    -17" thin crash
    -24" mega power ride
    -10" splash

User Info Menu

Sure, you can play your drums in your apartment-as long as all your neighbors are stone deaf!

Otherwise, you're going to have problems unless you use an electronic set.
    DW Drummer Signing Off

User Info Menu

I don't think that drumming in an apartment would be a good idea unless you have an E-kit. Have you considered finding a place to rent with roomates? If you find a few other people who enjoy music or are musicians to room with you could probably find a rather large place you could afford away from neighbors and jam anytime you wanted. Just a thought, granted you would have to find people that you could depend on to pay their rent.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

I grew up in Chicago and lived in apartments almost all my life, there was no way for me to have played drums. Not even an E kit. I was fortunate enough to have found a place kids could go to after school that would help with homework arts and crafts and music. It was run by 4 women that could really rock! You had to finish your studies before you could use their stuff tho.
    After funding for the program ran out, I was lost and didn't play my own kit for many years until I was 38 years old! Now I live in the sticks in a house and am trying to make up for lost time.
    I would suggest an E kit like the others have said, with some extra floor padding, or move into a rental house with some like minded friends.
    Apartment living while trying to pursue your musical ambitions is a real disadvantage.