Thread: First time buying heads

User Info Menu

Default First time buying heads

Ok, I apologize in advance for my noob question but I'd like to know before I got to GC to buy heads.

I just got my first 5-piece set and am planning on re-heading it tonight. I have an idea of the heads I'd like to buy based on the info I've read and how I want my drums to soundm My main question - When I buy drum heads (for example, Evans Hydraulic Glass 12/13/16 pack) does the pack come with both the resonant and beater heads or do I need to buy them separately?

Also - any opinion on my choices?
    The aforementioned Evans for my 12/13/16 toms
    Aquarian Hi-Velocity for my 14 snare

Bass...well, I'm still debating on that one. Any help is appreciated here. Look for a warm sound, with medium overtones. I play in a basement, not planning on gigging (this is just for fun with my friends and I) so it doesn't need to be incredibly loud.

User Info Menu

Default Re: First time buying heads

I wouldn't recommend hydraulics. I'd probaby suggest going with a coated head for the warmth. A 2-ply will give you more durability and less ring.

Reso heads are sold separately.

My personal opinion on the bass drum is purchase the SKII pack. You will get a good quality batter and reso for much cheaper than buying them separately.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips Bish - I'll look into the coated heads.

User Info Menu

Coated G2's sound like what you are looking for. I would also reccomend going Evans on the snare and kick because, if you are a beginner, Evans are very easy to tune and last longer than Remo IMO.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I can vouch for the evans, i got a set of remo pinstripes to replace my stock heads, but just couldn't get the sound i was wanting, switched to G2s, amazing difference. Also, whatever you get coated heads are the way to go.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone - heads were bought this afternoon and put on over the last 5 hours or so (I must be slow I guess)

Here's what I got:
    12"/13" RT, 16" FT - Evans EC2 on the batter, Evans G1 on the Res
    14" Snare - Aquarian Hi-Energy on batter, Evans Hazy 300 on Res
    22" Kick - Aquarian Superkick II on batter, no change to Res

The tuning time was well worth it. I really enjoy the sound. The toms have a nice warm tone, medium attack, and resonate pretty much exactly as I was hoping they would (although I've had a bit of difficulty with the 16"). The kick, as well, has a very warm tone and resonates well. The snare...well...I haven't changed the snare side head yet since I'm new to this whole thing and need some other help with the snare anyway. I'm going to save this for my next lesson and have my drum teacher help me out . Anyway, pics below...

P.S. If anyone know how to stop the snares on my snare drum from vibrating everytime I hit a tom/kick, please let me know. Gracias!

Pic with the new heads (More in my profile if you wanna see em)

User Info Menu

Looking good there hoss. SKII FTW!!!
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Good combinations Dagon2000 you will love the sound. As for taking 5 hours to install heads that' ok cause there is no limit on time. As for the standard packs only come with the batters you have to get a different pack for the reso. Good luck and keep on drumming.

User Info Menu

No apologies needed for ANY questions on here.Everybody started out green,its just that some either forget that or think they were born perfect,lol.

I think you made great choices for your heads.There are many good heads,its just getting the sound you`re after that matters.Taking time to tune is good.Ive read where some people wont turn their tuning key more than a 1/4 turn at a time,some even say an 1/8th turn at a time.This ensures the head seats evenly.

Ive read where tightening the snare strainer will help reduce snare buzz.Also tuning tightness makes a difference too.Ive read tighter beater head and looser reso head,but Ive recently read just the opposite,so Ill let someone else who really knows answer that.A small piece of tape on the underside of the strainer wires helps too.Good luck.Im glad you like your new sound.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Dagon, the tuning will have something to do with what is happening with the sanres vibrating. The toms and bass are tuned in a harmonic with the snare's resonant head, and that causes it to vibrate. The easiest thing to do, since you like the tuning you have on your toms and bass, is to tune your snare resonant head (and I know you haven't done it yet) so that the snares don't vibrate as much when playing the other drums. You will still get some vibration, but that is normal and no one will know it when you're playing.

There are other tricks, but start there and see what you can accomplish.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks again folks. I'll try messing with the reso head on the snare when I get home tonight to minimize the snare buzz. I still don't plan on swapping it out until my teacher helps me with it but hopefully I can get rid of some of the buzz until then so it isn't driving me crazy when I practice.

User Info Menu

Definately good tips on here. I tell ya PB has got some great tuning advice. All i can add to you snare buzz is while tuning reso, have the four lug nuts around your snare wires slightly tighter than the others, probably an eigth of a turn
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Dagon, the tuning will have something to do with what is happening with the sanres vibrating. The toms and bass are tuned in a harmonic with the snare's resonant head, and that causes it to vibrate. The easiest thing to do, since you like the tuning you have on your toms and bass, is to tune your snare resonant head (and I know you haven't done it yet) so that the snares don't vibrate as much when playing the other drums. You will still get some vibration, but that is normal and no one will know it when you're playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Definately good tips on here. I tell ya PB has got some great tuning advice. All i can add to you snare buzz is while tuning reso, have the four lug nuts around your snare wires slightly tighter than the others, probably an eigth of a turn
    That's 2 pieces of good advice right there!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I wouldn't recommend hydraulics. I'd probaby suggest going with a coated head for the warmth. A 2-ply will give you more durability and less ring.

Reso heads are sold separately.

My personal opinion on the bass drum is purchase the SKII pack. You will get a good quality batter and reso for much cheaper than buying them separately.
    Agreed. The Aquarian kick drum packs are a great deal if you're on a budget. As far as other heads. Try some Remo coated Emperors or Vintage Emperors. Great sounding heads.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I'd go for coated G2s over clear G1s. They are really versatile and sound great.
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.