Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My God, what did I do?

User Info Menu

Default My God, what did I do?

My Kick drum on my Signia kit, which I love dearly, has a huge tom mount on it that does not get used. My band has the next 4-5 weeks off so I thought, good time to remedy this little item.
    My first attempt, I did not like the plug I used, the hole saw center hole will not stain up right.

So I cut this out and carved a piece of solid maple to fill the hole. Then I could not get the stain to match and blend so I took down the whole shell.

Then the next day I found a smokin deal on some birdseye veneer. Two 4X8 sheets for $20! Normally about $130 a sheet I believe.

User Info Menu

Default Re: My God, what did I do?

I am not that experienced at veneering. so I have this old shell I usually use to check my router depth when I do bearing edges.

This was one of my frankensteins, 3 tom or snare shell remnants put together, it is all maple so who knows, it might actually sound good.
    Then I cut up these blocks of cherry with a curve to put pressure on the shell, lots of clamps and a ratchet strap.

Speaking of frankenstein

User Info Menu

I actually ran out of clamps and had to buy some more.
    Well the old snare turned out not bad, it was far from smooth so it did get some ripples, with a nice straight shell, it should work out. Or I will destroy my mega dollar high end kit that took me years to find because they dont make them anymore.

This pic shows the fresh wrap, it is rough, no sanding has been done.

So no time to waste, I jump right in with the Signia kick drum.

After a 220 grit sanding
    Tasty Birdseye. I have always wanted a set of Signia's but I have also always wanted a Birdseye maple kit, I am on my way

My biggest fear, the fit and finish I think will work out satisfactory. One of Premier Signia's techniques to getting such a great shell, they were slightly under size so the skin hangs off the edge a little more, and they had an oil rubbed finish, no laquers to dampen the shell resonance. Well, I may be throwing that away. I will post my progress with the rest of the build, stay tuned for my 1. Success or 2. Crash and Burn

User Info Menu

Looks great so far!
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Man, that's a project and a half!

Good work!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That veneer looks great! Good luck with your project and be careful. It's always worth it to double check your measurements/work, and if you need help be sure to ask.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Well now that you ask lol. I searched around the internet for some tips but it all pertains to flat surface stuff with contact cement. I do not wish to use contact cement because if I screw up there is no return, it will rip the shell to bits trying to get it off. The veneer has a paper backing so I have had great experience with Tite Bond Ultimate wood glue. I was wondering if there are tricks like steaming the veneer before applying etc. So if anyone has knowledge FIRE AWAY!
    A vacuum forming machine would be the ultimate way to do it I imagine. I am not that rich.

User Info Menu

Default Re: My God, what did I do? MAPLE VENEER

OK, I am almost done. I just need some final assembly, should have full set up posted by Wednesday March 23rd. All I can say about this project.......

It is the

this will take a bit of posting, lots of photos and I hope it is helpful to anyone who might attempt this in the future.

After stripping down the rest of the drums, I realized how much road rash was inflicted on my kit.

Sand off the finish for good glue adhesion

User Info Menu

After cutting out the correct size veneer, adding an inch to compensate at the seam. I spread out a good coat of Ultimate wood glue, try not to use too much so it doesn't ooze out all over the place.

The hardest part for me was getting a nice tight seam. After a bit of trial and error I found leaving one side up and then after all was dry, I would lay this flat, cut with a straight edge clamped to the shell and then glue and clamp this piece last.

This phot shows the hardwood clamping blocks I made. I cut them by running them sideways through a table saw. I varied the curve from drum to drum by angling the table saw blade as if making a mitre cut.. Steeper the angle, the less curvature for larger drums.

User Info Menu

Looking good so far.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I got better at the clamping process as i went along. The ratchet straps really pull it all together. It is important to start in the center of the wrap, between the two ends of the veneer and evenly clamp your way around the shell to stretch and spread as much as possible.

All wrapped and ready for sanding. I used my multi tool to sand the shells, 120-180 and then 220. Be very careful not to sand through the veneer, it is very thin. You can get a feel for how much give there is by sanding at the seam on the kick drum, if you go through a little, it always faces the floor anyhow.

I did my best to clean my dusty garage, used some saw horses and a sheet of maple plywood as a spray table.

User Info Menu

Keep goin' Man ! That's coming nicely
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

I also ran my dust collector

And wore a tyvec paint suit,

I also use a 3M respirator, FUMES WILL KILL YOU!!!
    I use an old style devillbis finish line siphon feed gun. They are pretty well illegal now, but it is all I have and I spray maybe twice a year.

User Info Menu

I drill out the mount holes next. If you are going to polish the shells, do it before you drill anything. I later urethaned all the holes, but by wet sanding, water will penetrate the laminate through the holes and lift the veneer. My finish looked pretty nice as is, I may polish it later, but for now I am like an excited little kid, cant wait to get them back together.

I used a forstener bit with a wood block clamped to the outside to stop any tear out.

Which should yield a nice clean hole.
    Last edited by signia fan; 03-21-2011 at 11:03 AM.

User Info Menu

One final pic of the 10 inch tom assembled, will get the whole kit done tonight or tomorrow, enjoy.

User Info Menu

Wow! Very, very nice. I have basically a full wood shop full of tools, and I can't work up the nerve to try a big project. Envious.

User Info Menu

Believe me, I was crapping my drawers. Still a little nervous cause I have not heard them yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Believe me, I was crapping my drawers. Still a little nervous cause I have not heard them yet.
    It's my understanding that glue is inert sound-wise, and you added a quality wood over the top, so no worries, right? The shell-size issue might be the only thing, but how thick is the veneer anyway?

User Info Menu

The veneer was very thin, about the thickness of 3 sheets of construction paper maybe? Metric, maybe a quarter millimetre. I taped off the bearing edges so no glue or clear would get on them, the shells are a unique size. Signia builds the shells a half inch under size, 16" floor tom is 15 1/2 " across.

User Info Menu

Wow that is killer. Looks awesome. Really nice job.

User Info Menu

Holy cow that looks great!! Wanna do mine next??
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Wow! Wow! Wow! Beautiful Job. Those drums look stunning. Can't wait to see the pics with hardware. I bet they will sound great too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    One final pic of the 10 inch tom assembled, will get the whole kit done tonight or tomorrow, enjoy.
    OMG
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Wow
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Wow, thats beautiful. Your going to love playing them, because nothing is as satisfying (err...) as playing something YOU put blood, sweat, and tears into.
    Enjoy!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos