Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My God, what did I do?

User Info Menu

Default Re: My God, what did I do?

Sweet! Awesome job man, they look killer. I can't wait to see the whole set put back together.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

As promised. Now they are set up, I am reconsidering do a polish job. But for now I will play them for a bit.

I really like the contrast between the hoops and the birdseye.
    Also need to get under some coloured lights to see how they react.

User Info Menu

Also in the pic, my late 40's 7 inch radio king, and my 7 inch hybrid.

User Info Menu

They turned out great Signia fan, congrats!!! I don't think I could have trusted myself with such a big job

User Info Menu

It turned great and absolutely awesome !

Congrats That was an excellent decision
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Great great job.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Very nice. That finish looks really deep. Gotta love birdseye maple.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

SWEET! Awesome job! They turned out fantastic! Thanks for the play-by-play pictorial. I enjoyed it very much!

User Info Menu

Thats just super tuff man!! They look great!

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Outstanding job! Looks fantastic.

User Info Menu

WOW! That is an awesome looking job signia fan! I have always loved the way birdseye maple looked. I sure hope they sound has not changed with the added glue around those shells. They look better than any SIGNIA I have ever seen, including mine and I love them!!
    I bought my PREMIER SIGNIA's new in 1993 and from day one hated that tom mount. I knew I would never use it. But there is no way I would attempt what you just did to your drums and I'm very good with wood. I just would be way to affraid of something going wrong and losing my SIGNIA's.
    I am just now getting all the pieces together and hope to build a 6 1/2" x 14" stave snare drum made out of bubinga. I love to try new snares and thought a solid wood snare would be a nice addition to the other three I own. I will be posting that project. But what you did is like messin with mother nature to me.
    Congratulations on the job you did and to great looking drumset.

PS
    Is the boy with the headphones going to inherit the set???
    Last edited by HEAVYROCK9; 03-22-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    SAPPHIRE PREMIER "SIGNIA" MAPLE DRUMSET
    24" x 18" kick

18" x 16" floor tom
    10" x 9" tom
    12" x 10" tom
    13" x 11" tom
    14" x 12" tom
    5 1/2" x 14" maple PREMIER SIGNIA snare
    7" x 14" Bubinga Stave Built Snare
    9" x 14" brass PREMIER HEAVYROCK9 snare
    6 1/2 x 14 LUDWIG BLACK MAGIC snare
    14" K zildjian top 14" Z zildjiaan bottom
    20" K zildjian ride
    16" A zildjian crash
    18" AAX Sabian crash
    12" HH Sabian splash
    Mapex Falcon Double Bass

User Info Menu

Josh turns 4 next month, he really wacks them hard, I just took off the splash cause the way he lays into it, he will kill it. Thanks for all the kind compliments. The sound does not seem hampered, they still punch out nicely, but today I just bought a set of ambassdor thickness fibreskin 3's for the bottoms. I will get them dialed in and then post a video. Heavyrock9, not many kits can compare to signias, not sure of the year of mine. I bought them from a store in Kansas, from people who obviously did not know what they had. All the lugs were loose and rattling and tuning was non existant.
    I searched years for a set, what sold me on them? A student/friend bought a set as well as a set of yamaha maple customs. Both kits had the same sizes, skins and tuning. The Signias were miles above the yamahas, like comparing gretsch to a CB700 kit difference.

Well, enough rambling, yes I am a proud papa.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous kit. Awesome job, makes me want to refinish my very first kit... Again.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Wow! What an epic recon job! Awesome finish SF.
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Ha! When I saw the first pics you posted, I was like, "This guy's crazy !". Now, I look at the finished product and my jaw just dropped to the floor ! SF, you did a heck of a job here....WOW!

User Info Menu

very nice indeed.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I very much enjoyed this thread. What a beautiful set! I love my Premiers too.
    Probably some of the best sounding drums I have. What a great job on that Signia set. I wish they would give us our own section for restoration and refinishing projects.
    I have asked but there was some reason for it??????
    There are so many of us here who refinish our drums and post the project on here we should have a designated area for it. I love these type threads.

User Info Menu

Very nice,really liked the play by play on the build.Thanks for posting.
    Proudly playing
    TAMA Superstar Accel-Driver 5 piece
    Ddrum Dominion Maple 13x7 snare
    Remo Roto Tom's 6,8,10

Paiste 3000 14 Rude hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections medium 13 hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections 14 thin crash
    Paiste Alpha 16 medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 18 Medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 20 power ride
    Wuhan 12/18 china's

User Info Menu

Very sweet, nice work.

User Info Menu

Holy crap that is AMAZING!!! I might end up paying to have my vintage Premier kit done similar to this. Well done man. Signias are one of my all time favorite drum lines, and yours look killer.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

absolutly amazing...Thanks for the tips and great photos....Oh and for convincing me NEVER to try that myself. Did you get it all done in the 4-5 weeks you had off ? Just out of curiosity, how long did you contemplate before actually committing ?

User Info Menu

Wow! man, they really do look phenomenal! congrats buddy! Great progression throughout the thread aswell

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MR. G View Post
    absolutly amazing...Thanks for the tips and great photos....Oh and for convincing me NEVER to try that myself. Did you get it all done in the 4-5 weeks you had off ? Just out of curiosity, how long did you contemplate before actually committing ?
    It took me 7 days. The clear will eventually get re sprayed, there is only a few coats, when I get a 3 week break in gigs, I will take them apart, wet sand and give them a nice clear coat bath. I just finished a stave shell and it has about 14 coats with multiple wet sands between, you can dive into the finish.

I had the kit out last weekend, we did a town dance at an arena in Beeton. I was not totally happy with the sound in my drum room, but when I got them out they opened up and sounded better than I ever remember. Our long term soundman was freaking out, he said the only kit he has ever worked with that compared was Bruce ****burn's drummer who did a side project he mixed on. That was an amazing compliment. But they sound so great, I was STOKED all night, in awe of my awesomeness lol.

We video taped the night, I will post a clip when I get a copy. Once again thanks everyone, was cool to see this post has had over 1000 views.

Edit, as to how long I thought about this? The plan was to get rid of the tom mount on the kick, patch up the finish, end of story. The patch did not go easily, then the next day I found the veneer by coincidence. I contemplated for about 15 minutes.
    Last edited by signia fan; 05-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Results are amazing; I couldn't begin to take on something like that. Well done!
    If you are going through hell...keep going!