Thread: Made in Taiwan

User Info Menu

Default Made in Taiwan

Hi, I've recently scored a throne, snare stand and a made in Taiwan (had a little made in Taiwan sticker on it) metal snare drum, all for $20. The original throw was not so well made and broken inside. I probably could have repaired it but it'd be easily susceptable to the same issue. I've replaced it with a new Ludwig P-81 throw I've found at a good price under $15. Also had some new black nylon tension rod washers. I think she came out nice.

Last edited by Olimpass; 12-19-2015 at 04:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Made in Taiwan

Looks nice but more importantly, how does it sound?

User Info Menu

Looks cheap!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Cheap drums are cool!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Sometimes those cheap snare drums can really deliver the goods. I know most of us sneer at the things, but let's face it - a metal snare delivers a fairly basic sound that's mostly dependent on heads and tuning. Yes, the good stuff works better, lasts longer, and looks much better, but that's a good, basic snare drum. I say play the life out of it and enjoy it.

And keep your eye out for a good Supraphonic!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

sometimes you just can't pass up a deal.
    I've picked up super cheap drums just to clean them and flip them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Looks cheap!
    Just curious...What looks cheap about it? Is it all those "ribs?"
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Lots of drums come out of Taiwan and some are not cheap. Nice looking snare though.

User Info Menu

I love cheap MIT drums. Heck, my favorite kit is made from an old, cheap set of MIT drums. Nice score.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Just curious...What looks cheap about it? Is it all those "ribs?"
    Yep, I believe that's it. It looks like the kind of snare drum you get with a CB 700 set.

Sure not a real Ludwig.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 12-18-2015 at 01:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks much all!
    Yes, it's a cheap inexpensive drum that sounds good and is even better with the Ludwig P-81 throw, than the original throw, that was on there.
    I have nice snare drums too but this will likely get most of the work load, used as an extra snare, to sell as a flip or a gift for someone. Take your pick! The price was right.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-19-2015 at 05:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Dave Weckel used a "cheap" Kent brand snare drum on his first recordings because he said it gave him that dry crack he was looking for from his more expensive snares . Back in the early 80's I was given a "cheap" CB-700 drum kit by a local music store to record for a local songwriter . 24' kick ,13,14,16,18 toms . They sounded awesome on the recording and the guy won the Marlboro songwriting/singer contest of that year and I got a one thousand dollar bonus ! "CHEAP" is only in your head ....
    Nice snare , cleaned up real nice !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Cheap metal snares can sound great with the right heads and tuning!
    Also, since Kent was mentioned, they made some really nice sounding snares. I owned one for a while, had a very vintage sound to it but with a lot of crack too.

User Info Menu

Great looking restoration Oli! Snare looks brand new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Dave Weckel used a "cheap" Kent brand snare drum on his first recordings because he said it gave him that dry crack he was looking for from his more expensive snares . Back in the early 80's I was given a "cheap" CB-700 drum kit by a local music store to record for a local songwriter . 24' kick ,13,14,16,18 toms . They sounded awesome on the recording and the guy won the Marlboro songwriting/singer contest of that year and I got a one thousand dollar bonus ! "CHEAP" is only in your head ....
    Nice snare , cleaned up real nice !
    Rudy .
    Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Also, since Kent was mentioned, they made some really nice sounding snares. I owned one for a while, had a very vintage sound to it but with a lot of crack too.
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Great looking restoration Oli! Snare looks brand new.
    Thanks much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Kent were American made by people that left Gretsch.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I was going to weld together two cheap metal shells once but lost interest in the project. Plus I don't have welding equipment so that pretty much ended that
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Good thinking putting a half decent throw on it, and just think, the price was right, you got more than just a snare, and I've seen plenty of MIJ stuff sounding awesome, looks aren't everything, and another snare to your collection.

User Info Menu

If it sounds good, it is good. No one can see it from the audience, and the brand or country of origin is inconsequential to everyone except you.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I was going to weld together two cheap metal shells once but lost interest in the project. Plus I don't have welding equipment so that pretty much ended that
    I think I've seen someone do that once. No welding. I think they used long tension rods with the lower portion of the top snares lugs (without swival nuts, bottom rim or head of course) pushing the tension rod thru the lug lower end of the top lugs lower portion with lug removed and screwed them into the lower snares top portion of the lugs (without top head or rim of course) by tightening the tension rods with pliers into the the lower snares top swival nuts. (if that makes sense)
    a crude drawing...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Good thinking putting a half decent throw on it, and just think, the price was right, you got more than just a snare, and I've seen plenty of MIJ stuff sounding awesome, looks aren't everything, and another snare to your collection.
    Thank you, yes I wanted a good throw but at a low price. I had to drill holes but not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If it sounds good, it is good. No one can see it from the audience, and the brand or country of origin is inconsequential to everyone except you.
    That's right. Thank you again N2Bluz!
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-25-2015 at 09:45 PM.