Thread: Snare help

User Info Menu

Default Snare help

Hi everyone - I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get my snares to stop vibrating when I hit toms/kick. It's a slight rattle every time I hit any of the toms or kick and it's terribly annoying. Also, when i hit the snare itself, the snares rattle for what seems to be a long time to me rather than a quick punch. I'm 100% clueless on how to fix issues with snares so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare help

Hi,

Here is another post on the issue:
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ighlight=snare

What =^-..-^= said in above-mentioned post:
    "What's WRONG with snare ring? I can't get ENOUGH snare ring! Ring gives you an infinite amount of different sounds from your snare, depending on how close to the edge you hit it. Hitting sweet spot all the time = BORING!"

When I used to play guitar for band I used to like figuring out which notes on the guitar make the snare vibrate and then improvise around those notes to sort of play the drums as well - forcing a little 'roll' in when I want it. Of course this wouldn't work for fixed compositions because the place where it rings is different from kit to kit and snare to snare and probably season to season. And this is also not what you want from your toms.

On my drums I have also found that tuning the toms a bit higher or lower if they cause too much snare ring will help because if they have the same (or complimentary) frequency as the snare they will resonate together too much. But I have never been able to get rid of all the tom-snare ring, especially caused by 14in floor tom on 14in snare.

User Info Menu

Snare buzz is a fact of life. The best place to start is with the snare drum itself. Loosen all the lugs and loosen the snare strainer.
    Finger tighten the tension rods.
    Start tensioning the top head with a key. I like to turn each tension rod in half turn increments. But I end up with 2 full turns when done, so I end up doing 4 half turns (180 degree) on each rod when all is said and done.
    SIDENOTE You can google lug patterns. They are easy to find. After I get a half turn on each lug, I tune the head to itself. This is done by tapping on the head in front of every lug, about an inch from the rim. The idea is to get the pitch to sound the same at each lug. You might want to put something on the head while fine tuning to help eliminate overtones/ring.
    Repeat the process for the bottom head, I like 2.5 full rotations on the bottom head (5 half turns). Don't forget to try and get the head in tune with itself after each round of .5 turns.
    When you have the heads as good as you can get them, tighten the snares. Don't pull them too tight, or you'll choke the head.
    This should give you a nice hi pop/crack and a short staccato snare sound. It should also tune the snare high enough, where it won't have a whole lot of sympathetic vibrations to the tom/kick frequencies. Good luck. You won't be able to eliminate all the buzz. But this should help out.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Also, if your snare wires are old and tired you may get some excess buzzing from them. They stretch out over time, but not evenly.

User Info Menu

Thanks both for the info. I'll mess around with the snare when I get home to see if I can eliminate some of the buzz. I pretty much expect that there is going to be some buzz, as is the case on other sets I've played and other snares. The one that I am using just seems to be more pronounced than I'm used to. Hopefully I can get it to an acceptable level. Thanks again for the help.

User Info Menu

Sell it or throw your toms away. easy fix.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Sell it or throw your toms away. easy fix.
    Duh! Why didn't I think of that???

User Info Menu

I find thhat too much buzz or that rattle you speak of is usually the snare wires being too loose.

Snare tuning is trial and error, the more you experiment the better you get at finding that perfect sound.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

You can also tune your rack toms out of the freq. range of your snare drum to keep the sympathic vibrations at a minimum from buzzing the snare wires.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I find thhat too much buzz or that rattle you speak of is usually the snare wires being too loose.

Snare tuning is trial and error, the more you experiment the better you get at finding that perfect sound.
    yeah I cranked my wires super tight and put a small stretch of duct tape over em. about .75" wide by 1.5-2" long. just barely touches the res head and cuts down on over resonance too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    yeah I cranked my wires super tight and put a small stretch of duct tape over em. about .75" wide by 1.5-2" long. just barely touches the res head and cuts down on over resonance too.
    Met with my teacher yesterday to help me tune the snare and work on the snare buzz. Ultimately, regardless of the tension of the heads and snare wires, we couldn't stop the buzz completely. We added some tape to the snare wires and RemO's to the batter head which cut back a lot of the snare buzz, res and ringing. I'm still not completely happy with the sound but it sounds 1000 times better than it did.

User Info Menu

some of it will likely stay for ever. I noticed jamming with my guitarist this weekend when I wasn't playing, and was on the couch with him, his amp was buzzing my snare. but he barely noticed, and at volume, or when I'm playing at the drums you can't tell at all.