Thread: first set of microphones

User Info Menu

Default first set of microphones

hi,

i've recently started doing drum covers on youtube and have a zoom h2 recorder, but i'd like to make something with a bit better quality (plus, having my own microphones would always be useful for recording with bands, etc)

I'm a bit confused about the different brands available...i have a pretty low budget so i'd be looking at either something like superlux or sampson or possibly a used shure pg set (if one came up). Are the shure mics significantly better than the cheaper brands, or are you just paying for the brand name?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions of other affordable mic sets that are good that would be great

User Info Menu

Default Re: first set of microphones

Welcome to the forum

I think maybe just starting with a pair of over head condencers would be a far more effective option

User Info Menu

I agree with itchie. A pair of two CAD condensers will get the job done well and efficiently. Remember though, you will need a mixer and all those things too.

Welcome to the forum, you'll love it here.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I wish there was a "like" button on peoples posts. Because i would be hitting the
    "like"button for itchie and jordison's posts.
    Last edited by nucjd; 03-09-2011 at 07:26 PM.

User Info Menu

thanks for the warm welcome, and also for the advice...just wondering where it would be best to position the two condenser mics if i were to buy those?

User Info Menu

Welcome Grace!

Nucjd posted this advice recently...he's the "go to guy" for questions like yours. I'm paraphrasing from nucjd's recent advice concerning overhead condenser mic.

"To prevent a mic phasing problem if your kit is set up in a small room".
    X-Y mic positioning:

Did I get it right nucjd? About one inch separation between the mics?
    Last edited by late8; 03-10-2011 at 03:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Perfect late. The x-y pattern IMHO is the best set up for guys like us in smaller rooms with limited acoustic treatment. That set up will give you the most bang for your buck.

User Info Menu

After the over heads I would suggest a snare and kick mic

User Info Menu

what about a large room? drums in the center, 8? foot ceilings.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Audix D series....love them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    Audix D series....love them!
    +1....Here's what Greenmonster is referring to Grace. The 4 mics displayed in the middle of the mic case are some D series Audix drum mics. The D2 are used for the rack toms, the D4 can be used for the floor tom or kick and the D6 is an actual kick drum mic. The i5 can be used for hats or snare. The light blue mic is the AKG T-170 small diaphram overhead condenser mic that I added later. I only have one at the moment. The two mics at the top of the case are the Shure57 mics that I use for the ride or hats which I also added later.

The Audix drum mic kit is called the Audix DP 5A 5pc. It comes with rim clip mic holders and a sturdy silver case. Retails for about $659 at a big box store. The AKG T-170 was priced at $148 and the Beta Shure 57 mics were priced at $99 each.
    Last edited by late8; 03-11-2011 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

In case you missed the PM I sent you, I have some new CAD mics you can have. Check your PM's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    what about a large room? drums in the center, 8? foot ceilings.
    8 foot ceiling isn't really a big room for recording drums. It takes roughly 28 feet to work out a standing sound wave from your bass drum so theoretically you would need a room that is 28 feet tall, 28 feet wide and 28 feet long. This is why the x-y pattern is used so much in recording drums too get a good pic of the kit sound wise and decrease the phasing as much as possible. I would also not place the kit in the center. It should usually sit about 30 percent off of the wall with a slight angle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    I would also not place the kit in the center. It should usually sit about 30 percent off of the wall with a slight angle.
    This is interesting. What's the thought behind the layout? I'm guessing natural room reverb and echo, but I'm guessing.

Also, I see you are using Pro-tools. Do you know if a mixing board with a USB output will allow the board to be used as, and replace the audio interface? Don't mean to hijack here.

User Info Menu

Setting dead center of a room will allow the standing waves to build and null at the same time front back and side to side with the phasing of sound bouncing from the walls reaching the mics at the exact same time which increases the muddiness and phasing issues. By setting the kit less than 50% will allow the waves that reflect from the walls that return to the mics to do so at different points in time therefore decreasing phasing. Also turning your kit at a slight angle will allow the standing waves another way to diffuse in your room rather than create standing waves and modes which again will cut down on phasing.

Pro tools 9 is native and will run now with the usb dongle which allows different interfaces. Now which interfaces and drivers are out there with USB boards I am not sure. That being said, very few boards will interface with pro tools as the drivers are very proprietary for the faders and tactile interfaces. the Command 8 (avid), command 24 and 16 (again avid) will interface with protools in this aspect. Now just running two channels from a board via usb into pro tools directly I assume is possible, but you could get around that issue by saving the file as a wave file and then opening it in pro tools. So long story short... check with the board manufacturer to see if it is compatible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Setting dead center of a room will allow the standing waves to build and null at the same time front back and side to side with the phasing of sound bouncing from the walls reaching the mics at the exact same time which increases the muddiness and phasing issues. By setting the kit less than 50% will allow the waves that reflect from the walls that return to the mics to do so at different points in time therefore decreasing phasing. Also turning your kit at a slight angle will allow the standing waves another way to diffuse in your room rather than create standing waves and modes which again will cut down on phasing.

Pro tools 9 is native and will run now with the usb dongle which allows different interfaces. Now which interfaces and drivers are out there with USB boards I am not sure. That being said, very few boards will interface with pro tools as the drivers are very proprietary for the faders and tactile interfaces. the Command 8 (avid), command 24 and 16 (again avid) will interface with protools in this aspect. Now just running two channels from a board via usb into pro tools directly I assume is possible, but you could get around that issue by saving the file as a wave file and then opening it in pro tools. So long story short... check with the board manufacturer to see if it is compatible.
    Thanks for the info. Windows 7, which I'm using comes with the drivers to directly USB from a board to Audition 1.5, but I haven't seen or heard anything about Pro Tools. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the useful info - I'll defintely invest in a pair of condenser mics soon and maybe some time after check out the audix series. And thanks for the placement help too

Riverr1 - I've recieved your pm but it won't let me reply!

User Info Menu

That may be about how long you've been on the board and what you're given access to. It appears new participants are scurtinized for a short time to ensure they're not taking advantage of the boards access to others for non-drumming reasons. Another PM is on the way.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: first set of microphones

Great info..Several of my questions have been answered without my even asking them.Once again,this place ROCKS!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

go all out or go home. you can buy a ****ty kit and put nice heads on and it sounds acceptable. but buying lower end mics has no plus's at all except one thing, its cheaper. You should just save up for Shure sm57 4 pack. 3 reg mics and a bass drum mic. for 400 bucks but they are super good with wear and tear, top of the line quality, and you wont need new mics for a long long time. i bought them and have had them for 2 years with no regrets. rock on brother
    15 Year Self Taught Veteran

Sonor Force Kit
    Sabian

• 12" AAx Splash
    • 18" AAx Dark Crash
    • 16" AAX Studio Crash
    • 20" AAX Raw Bell Ride
    • 10" XS Splash
    • 14" AAX High Hat

Wuhan

• Sizzle China

1964 Ludwig 400 snare (vintage)