Thread: How to go about buying a kit..

User Info Menu

Default How to go about buying a kit..

Ok, so my husband and I have an electronic drumset, cheapo, and piece by piece are buying Roland stuff and replacing the cheapo-no-name crap. Here is the thing. I want REAL drums. Now, do I buy a fairly inexpensive ( I would save for a little time and spend about $600-$800) kit all at once OR save up and build a nice kit, piece by piece? Ya' know a snare this month, a tom in two more months, another tom the next month etc. I am playing for fun, have no intention of playing in a band or anything. I am an old lady (well, 40) and have no dreams of ever doing anything but playing with friends (I hang with a lot of mucisians) at my house and playing for fun. Advice please.

User Info Menu

wait till you get about 800 together and get something that will last ya awhile.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

So, if I am not tearing anything down ever and just playing at home, $800 would be enough to get a decent set? Including cymbals?

User Info Menu

What brand should I get?

User Info Menu

ROLAND! Never buy Yamaha electronic drums, they are not as good quality.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

No, acoustic kit, what kind of acoustic kit?

User Info Menu

If you never plan on playing out or being in a band, just about any kit will do.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

if you use ebay i bet you could get a 5 pc gretsch catalina birch kit or sonor force 2005 (birch) or 3005 (maple) with hardware and a set of sabian AA cymbals for 800 easy. all 3 of those kits have recently been discontinued and they are selling very cheep to make room for new stock. you could get any of those 3 quality intermediate kits w/ hardware packs for about 500 bucks.

User Info Menu

Find something old and second hand and put new heads on it. And then maybe a ZBT or ZXT cymbol pack as well. Heck i would be happy with that :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina
    Ok, so my husband and I have an electronic drumset, cheapo, and piece by piece are buying Roland stuff and replacing the cheapo-no-name crap. Here is the thing. I want REAL drums. Now, do I buy a fairly inexpensive ( I would save for a little time and spend about $600-$800) kit all at once OR save up and build a nice kit, piece by piece? Ya' know a snare this month, a tom in two more months, another tom the next month etc. I am playing for fun, have no intention of playing in a band or anything. I am an old lady (well, 40) and have no dreams of ever doing anything but playing with friends (I hang with a lot of mucisians) at my house and playing for fun. Advice please.
    thats how i built my 'acoustic kit, had to save up bit by bit, being a novice i didnt look into properly, wish i came here 1st, then bought the stands/hardware and now just finished getting the cymbals, broken down it cost be about £870 $1800? dont know if thats good or bad!
    I ONLY WANTED TO HELP YOU ROLAND

User Info Menu

Default how do i go about buying a kit

Hi , I am new to sight. Go to a store that only sells drums. You can get a nice kit for 800 bucks in a store like that. Look into Mapex, they put alout into thier kits and often give free drums with a purchase. And watch that old stuff, hek i AM 50 AND PLAYING IN A BAND. BORN IN 1956, HENCE MY LOG NAME DRUMMER56. Ck us out at corrientes@optonline.net good luck with your new kit billy k.
    Last edited by drummer56; 05-20-2007 at 01:07 PM.