Thread: Foam or Rubber Drum Mutes/Silencers?

User Info Menu

Default Foam or Rubber Drum Mutes/Silencers?

Hello all

I'm trying to buy some drum mutes, I have an Ashton drum kit, and they have their own branded drum mutes

But I'm just wondering, is there a major difference between the Foam and Rubber silencers, hoping someone could tell me from experience.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Foam or Rubber Drum Mutes/Silencers?

I'd say from knowledge of materials the rubberised ones would give you more "bounce" and would soften the noise produced; where as I think the foam ones would not soften the noise produced but cushion your stick from hitting the head as hard.

I'm sure they both have good and bad points, but I personally like the Vic Firth rubber Mutes - to each their own. Try them out?

User Info Menu

I had a set of HQ Sound off drum pads, they are excellent. I would go for the neoprene ones for durability, and they really kill the sound, brilliant on cymbals, hi hat and bass. The bass mute I have is from the same pack, but is 1cm or so thick foam, with a neoprene pad in the middle for the beater (for durability I assume) and works a treat.

Neoprene/rubber all the way for me.

User Info Menu

Never heard of foam being used for a muting material, but if you mean mesh- than they would have the greater rebound. There was a video demonstrating this that I remember seeing awhile back:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7bWsugi2yc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7bWsugi2yc[/ame]
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have rubber and like them. I've worn a hole through the center of the snare mute, but the ride mute I sometimes leave on the ride even when I'm playing with the guys because it kills the resonance and gives me a nice 'ping' when I hit the ride (I just slide the mute out of the way so I don't hit it with the stick, but it still sits on the ride to kill resonance).

User Info Menu

I am a carpenter and i have access to mass quantities of door insulation foam that sticks right to the drum and works like a boss i strongly recommend. looks like this
    15 Year Self Taught Veteran

Sonor Force Kit
    Sabian

• 12" AAx Splash
    • 18" AAx Dark Crash
    • 16" AAX Studio Crash
    • 20" AAX Raw Bell Ride
    • 10" XS Splash
    • 14" AAX High Hat

Wuhan

• Sizzle China

1964 Ludwig 400 snare (vintage)