Thread: Need advice on congas

User Info Menu

Default Need advice on congas

I'm waiting on a Gio Palladium series conga set that is on BO, but now I have been looking around and having second thoughts and wondering if the Gon Bops Alex Acuņa series congas would be a beter set? I'm a beginner and this drums would be use just at home. All things consider which one you guys think would be the best buy? oh forgot to mention the bops are in stock
    Thanks for your advice.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need advice on congas

You could not ever, ever compare the Palladium congas to the Alex Acuņa's. LP congas are far best than those. I have a pair of LP Galaxy fiberglass that I would never get rid off.

CONGARICAN

User Info Menu

Saludos Rican51. Do not go for gonbops because the hardware is weak and the lugs do not hold under tension. The Palladiuns weight a ton plus there are some better boutique type ( Moperc,Islas,SOS,ect,ect) that are far better than the LPs. Do your homework, take your time and surf thru the net before buying. Invest wise so you dont have to invest twice.

User Info Menu

There are a ton of pro-level congas from LP other than the Gio Palladium stuff. Those are super cool looking though. I wish I could swing a new set of something. I've got a decade of playing under my belt and still use the matadors I started with.

User Info Menu

If you are looking for the best available today I would suggest VGA, Resolution, Valje, Skin on Skin or Mantio Percussion.

LP is good but far from the best. The LP top of the line Congas do not give the most value for your $$.

VGA congas are in the contemporary style like Valje. They are typically Quartersawn Oak with Stainless Steel haedware and Crown. Lou Vega at VGA also makes congas with other woods.

Resolution and Valje are Oak drums built in the contemporary design (more angular than traditional barrel shaped). Ralph Flores son of the original Valje Tom Flores continues this fine tradition. These congas include bags and custom individual stands.

Skin on Skin is the current standard bearer for the New York conguero scene. Jay Bereck and his apprentice produce some of the finest congas today.

Mantino Percussion, Mantino is in the Georgia area and builds solid shell congas in the style of Sky's Del Cielo congas. Mantino is newer and is planning on adding stainless steel hardware.

Matt Smith and Volcano Percussion are among the best today but there are long waiting periods currently and limited availability. Hopefully this situation will improve for these two front runners. These two are not entry level congas.

If you want entry level congas, I reccomend Matador congas.

Peace and Happy Drumming

User Info Menu

nice suggestions Jerry