Thread: Attaching a Pandeiro to a Cymbal Stand

User Info Menu

Default Attaching a Pandeiro to a Cymbal Stand

I have a 13" pandeiro (Brazilian tambourine, sorta) that I would like to be able to attach to a cymbal stand or similar structure. My pandeiro is 2" deep and has a head. The head is tunable. I don't know exactly what this thing weighs, but it is heavy enough so that I bought a Remo tambourine with a head for when I want to play teh pandeiro, but don't want to lift it.

I'm open to any suggestions.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Attaching a Pandeiro to a Cymbal Stand

Jack, as big as that pandeiro is, you might have to use a snare stand and adapt that to a taller base, depending on how you're going to put it with your other drums. 13" makes it seem to me like it's almost as big as a bodhran or other frame drum. Most of the pandeiros I've seen and heard have bongo-size heads (6" to 8")...

Any other ideas, brother and sister skin-slappers?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Attaching a Pandeiro to a Cymbal Stand

I'm just up from the basement wher my drumset is. Your idea is ppure genius. The top part of my snare stand fits perfectly into the base of one of my cymbal stands!

Problem solved!

Thanks much.

Perhaps I should provide some history here. I got the idea to get the pandeiro from a percussionist who played at the theatre where I volunteer. The place only holds 87 people. He saw afraid that he could not play his kit quietly enough for the room, so he brought this set-up that included a pandeiro with a coated head on a snare stand so he could play it with brushes. He was sitting on a cajon. He had a tambourine installed in a bass drum foot pedal, djembe and some cymbals. You get the idea.

I was intrigued and HAD to have one of these things. Mine still has the calf-skin head. I normally play it like a heavy tambourine, and get some good sounds out of it, but I thought some kind of stand would be a good idea.

Thanks again!
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.