Thread: What cymbals

User Info Menu

Default What cymbals

It's time to add a cymbal sound to my percussion kit. I'm thinking of something relatively small.. maybe 14" or less, but not sure. Something that I can hit with my hand and use with either my congas or cajon. Any suggestions? I know virtually nothing about this. This forum is so awesome!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: What cymbals

Hey Busyflyin,
    I don't know exactly what you want to do. I have added cymbals to my set at times and thinner ones are easier to get them to respond when played by hand. There are some cymbals made especially for hand drummers--check out the Sabian Picante series.

User Info Menu

That's a real hard question to answer.
    Virtually all companys make cymbals in different sound levels and quality.
    Best thing to do is head to your local drum shop and head to the cymbal department and try them hands on, so to speak.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how to use the quote feature, but I did just what Pops told me to do. Today I went to GC and a very helpful sales guy walked me through every one of the reasonable choices. I ended up with a Sabian El Sabor Salsa 13in. It's my first cymbal. I thought it sounded the best of the bunch for what I expected to achieve. I'll give it a go and see how my band peeps respond to it. Thanks for the help!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by busyflyin View Post
    I'm not sure how to use the quote feature, but I did just what Pops told me to do. Today I went to GC and a very helpful sales guy walked me through every one of the reasonable choices. I ended up with a Sabian El Sabor Salsa 13in. It's my first cymbal. I thought it sounded the best of the bunch for what I expected to achieve. I'll give it a go and see how my band peeps respond to it. Thanks for the help!!
    I've had one of these for 10 years and love it in my hand drum setup. You can crash it with your hand, but the sound isn't very loud. I mostly stick crash it when on timbales. Great sound.