Thread: do scratches affect the sound of cymbals

User Info Menu

Default do scratches affect the sound of cymbals

my local music store have used hihats but with barely any scratches on the bottom. 30% off full price

User Info Menu

A scratch usually won't affect a cymbals sound unless it's really deep or messes up the tonal grooves.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

If the scratches do "mess" with the sound I think it can be a good thing at times. You have to clean your cymbals in this case, but it can add a uniqueness to the sound.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

I dont know what you guys think. But i dont like cymbals that ring out forever. And most are hammered in Different Densitys in different parts of the cymbal to stop this. Scratches would shorten the systain of the cymbal. So I personaly would think big scratches would possibly make them sound better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    I dont know what you guys think. But i dont like cymbals that ring out forever. And most are hammered in Different Densitys in different parts of the cymbal to stop this. Scratches would shorten the systain of the cymbal. So I personaly would think big scratches would possibly make them sound better.
    If that was the case I would just get some MoonGel or a small mute pad to shorten the ring length.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Thinner cymals also ring for a shorter amount of time.

I personally like to actually hear the cymbal so I play on some big thick mf's

User Info Menu

i have really thick cymbals i got tired of the ringing so a thin coat of paint and bango problem solved
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Hm muting is the professional way. But with a discount on scratches doing the job! WHY NOT! :> :P