Thread: Metronome

User Info Menu

Default Metronome

Hey all,
    I'm new to the drums and just picked up a Pearl Rythym Traveller set for cheap off a guy leaving the country. I've changed out the cymbals to Zyljians and picked up a Gibraltar dbl bass pedal. This has always been in the back of my mind (learn to play) for as long as I can remember so when I heard about this set I just went for it. You only live once right? So....since then, I've learned I have little to no sense of rythm and the whole hand, foot, hand coordination seems to elude me. I have a new respect for drummers though and realise just how difficult this is as compared to the guitar. though that comment will likely urk a few guitarists. Bottom line...cut to the chase...I need a metronome. i'm looking at the Boss DB30 or a Korg MA30. I have no idea what is good or bad or indifferent. so I seek opinions of those who do. I refuse to let this stop me from eventually sounding like I know what I'm doing.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Metronome

Welcome to Drum Chat zabba63!

If you just want a basic metronome to get you started, then the Korg MA30 will be OK. Eventually, though, you'll outgrow it and want something better. I have read too many things about the reliability of the Boss DB30 to be able to recommend it. The metronome that I would recommend is the Tama Rhythm Watch. It's a little more expensive, but it will do everything you need, both now and in the future. You can find them used if the new one stretches the budget too much.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice Paster Bob! I'll look into that one. I just read up in another section that my Zyljian ZBT cymbals are crap! lol gotta start somewhere I suppose. Should do better research in the future....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zabba63 View Post
    Thanks for the advice Paster Bob! I'll look into that one. I just read up in another section that my Zyljian ZBT cymbals are crap! lol gotta start somewhere I suppose. Should do better research in the future....
    You're welcome, and don't sweat the ZBT's too much. Many of us started on those. I will admit that I started replacing them as soon as I could. There is a big difference between the sound of the pro level cymbals and the budget lines. Of course, everyone starts somewhere, and it's all about hitting things in the right rhythms. In the beginning, that's hard enough, so don't worry too much about upgrading right away. When you're ready, there are plenty of good used cymbals available. That's how I got the majority of my cymbal setup.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'll double what Pastor Bob says - just getting started, you don't need anything fancy, just something that will get the job done. Later on you might want to get something that does divided beats, or if you start gigging with a click track you can look into something like a Boss DB 90 that allows you to store tempos and chain songs together in a playlist, but as long as you can adjust it to click regularly and can use in-ears with a headphone jack, just about any inexpensive metronome will do.

Don't discount the inexpensive Korg gear either. I've got two Korg CA30 tuners that have been used and abused - knocked around in my trumpet case. The only reason I have two is because I already had one, but I wanted my son to have a tuner of his own when he started playing guitar. Both still work perfectly and the older of the two is 10 years old.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

If you just want a basic metronome to get you started, then the Korg MA30 will be OK. Eventually, though, you'll outgrow it and want something better. I have read too many things about the reliability of the Boss DB30 to be able to recommend it. The metronome that I would recommend is the Tama Rhythm Watch. It's a little more expensive, but it will do everything you need, both now and in the future. You can find them used if the new one stretches the budget too much.
    I second that.

Welcome to DrumChat zabba63!

I have a Korg MA-20, and that thing is still kicking!
    But the Tama Rhythm Watch will have everything you need. If your willing to shell that out it will help in the long run. But I think just a simple metronome will do fine for now.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

I second that.

Welcome to DrumChat zabba63!

I have a Korg MA-20, and that thing is still kicking!
    But the Tama Rhythm Watch will have everything you need. If your willing to shell that out it will help in the long run. But I think just a simple metronome will do fine for now.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos