Thread: Heavy Hitter

User Info Menu

Default Heavy Hitter

Im looking at the Zildjian ZXT's (Just the standard ones) But im a pretty heavy hitter and want something that will stand up to me. Is there anything of a higher quality with better strenghth (Or equal)

What are the Zildjian A customs sound like? (Hold up like too)

User Info Menu

i have an a custom ride, its more of a heavier cymbal, but the sound is astonishing.
    zildian is the way to go

User Info Menu

im very heavy handed, i got the zxt rock which are heavier than the medium,they sound nice, well i think so
    I ONLY WANTED TO HELP YOU ROLAND

User Info Menu

I'm no expert, but I love the sound of the A Customs; very musical. As for durability, I havn't seen anything more tank-like than Paragons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    I'm no expert, but I love the sound of the A Customs; very musical. As for durability, I havn't seen anything more tank-like than Paragons.
    paragons are no thicker than sabians AAX series. if you are into zil. and want a heavy, durable cymbal that don't sound like zxt poopoo go with the avedis medium crashes. the a custom might be a little thin for ya. the avedis line is popular with many of my favorite "heavy hitters" sometimes people get confused between heavy hitter and bad hitter when it comes to breaking cymbals, if you hit a cymbal hard with good technique it will last a long time.
    if you are just crushing straight down on them ANY cymbal will eventually give.

User Info Menu

ok, im a crap heavy handed hitter, how do i avoid cracking my cymbals? do i have to hit a certain way? please dont flame me im learning
    I ONLY WANTED TO HELP YOU ROLAND

User Info Menu

make sure you have a little angle on your cymbals and play them with with a bit of a sweeping snapping motion. most of all make yourself aware of how you are hitting with every stroke of a cymbal or a drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    paragons are no thicker than sabians AAX series. if you are into zil. and want a heavy, durable cymbal that don't sound like zxt poopoo go with the avedis medium crashes. the a custom might be a little thin for ya. the avedis line is popular with many of my favorite "heavy hitters" sometimes people get confused between heavy hitter and bad hitter when it comes to breaking cymbals, if you hit a cymbal hard with good technique it will last a long time.
    if you are just crushing straight down on them ANY cymbal will eventually give.
    I have both paragons and aax on my kit and the paragons are heavier.

As rd says. Tanks!

User Info Menu

Z customs

User Info Menu

AA's and AAX's from Sabian are really durable.
    my friend has a whole set of em and he's a monster hitter but they have no scratches whatsoever and he's had em for almost 2 years now

User Info Menu

Yeah i heard about that hitting angle. So i watched what i do when i play. And i think in a beat. Its impossible to hit it straight down. Well i do anyway :P But yeh.... tough is good though :P

User Info Menu

I used to break cymbals, at least a couple a year. Then I started studying with a top jazz drummer and he really improved my tech to a more sweeping motion. I thought hitting the crap out of the cymbal sounded good but after recording the glancing/sweeping motion is much more musical and cheaper :>). I started using Bosphorus crashes about 3 years ago and although I also like Sabian, I would never play anything else "unless I was sponsored" lol. I have not cracked a cymbal in 3 years.
    Sonor Delite birdeye Azure
    Tama HP-900 PTW-C
    Tama HH905 High Hat stand
    Sabian metal X HH,Ride
    Bosphorous 16/18 crash
    sabian 19" China
    http://www.myspace.com/hollywoodinseptember

User Info Menu

I learnt how you get the tone out of the cymbol so you can hear what your buying better. Just hit it on the sharp edge of it. Rings out a harmonic and thats ment to be the strongest frequency for if your recording
    something like that anyways.