Thread: Digital or acoustic

User Info Menu

Default Digital or acoustic

What do you people prefer? I have been looking over ebay. There are some sweet acoustic kits out there. But i have seen some TD-20 (rowland) Demos that sound super dooper too. But what do you people think. Digital or acoustic?

User Info Menu

Acoustic all the way, you will never find an electric drumset that feels or sounds like an acoustic.

BUT the td-20 is a sweet electric kit, the best electric kit you will find I think.

User Info Menu

Hm i never knew you could catch a digital cymbol but ya can on this...... The versatility and sounds that you can get out of it almost outweigh that small con. But once you get your accoustic set up right. It would be way sweeter though.

User Info Menu

I have both, yamaha acustic 7 piece and a 5 piece yamaha DTXpress III The cymbals are awesome i can choke the crash and the ride has 3 zones to play, Im working on a rack system at this time so i can put it all together, wierd to some but its fun for me and the country band i play in flipped out LOL at our gig this past saturday. anyways i needed something different and for the price and sound i just could not pass them up....BTW you can go see the demo on youtube, in the search area just type in DTXpressIII special, anyways the eletronic kit might be a phase but the acustic kit is forever. Thanks for your time good luck stevo on your search. Braxton
    Last edited by Braxton; 05-15-2007 at 02:47 PM.
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends, Johnny Cash is a friend of mine. www.myspace.com/braxtonbisceglia

User Info Menu

Acoustic.

User Info Menu

Hm im sure im gonna go with an acoustic kit and just build and build off it. Eventually rack it all. Im just trying atm to establish the different kits and the physics and sounds between them all. There is so much too it when you want to get the sounds right. My friend i record with has started rubbing some of his perfectionism onto me. But i have really sweet ideas of what i want on it :>

User Info Menu

The best of both worlds would be an acoustic set with some triggers, and pads to augment it. My personal preference would be for an acoustic kit if I were to pick one over the other. That being said the drummer for one of the church services I play bass for uses a yamaha digital set and it is amazing what he can get out of it. There are some advantages to digital if you live in an apartment, or can't make a lot of noise a digital hit is a great alternative.

User Info Menu

I've got a Yamaha DTXplorer, and pretty happy with it. Of course, I live in a flat, I can't be noisy!.

I've got one question: I want to start jammin with my brother (accoustic guitar) and a vocalist, and I need a speaker. Do you have any idea of what I need?

Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

look for a keyboard amp........ Goto a general music store and they will help you......... There are a few you can get actually. Either the keyboard amp. Bass amp. (even the lil practice 15watters sound good for what you want (between 80 and 200$ au)) Or if you want volume you can go for the proper PA kinda speaker. Mackie or something self powerd so its a single unit. Dont get a guitar amp because that wont handle the frequencies you want to play and you will just blow something.

Ask the shop owner. Get something with the hertz range closest to 0hz and closest to 20khz at the top end

User Info Menu

Thaks, Stevo. That's a great help, now I know what to ask for in the store. Would you try second hand amps?

User Info Menu

yamaha has a monitor system under 4 hundred dollars, look online at samash.com its for the dtx drums. hope this helps. Braxton
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends, Johnny Cash is a friend of mine. www.myspace.com/braxtonbisceglia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braxton
    yamaha has a monitor system under 4 hundred dollars, look online at samash.com its for the dtx drums. hope this helps. Braxton
    Hey Brax! You still fighting fires in FL??????

User Info Menu

Definit Acoustic
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

Although I will be purchasing an electric kit I would prefer acoustic, there is just nothing like an acoustic. Now I know I'm an amateur, however, since I practice on an electric mini kit and also on my teachers acoustic kit I can honestly say that I like the feel of the acoustic, it's just more yummy! I don't really know how to describe it.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alaman
    I've got a Yamaha DTXplorer, and pretty happy with it. Of course, I live in a flat, I can't be noisy!.

I've got one question: I want to start jammin with my brother (accoustic guitar) and a vocalist, and I need a speaker. Do you have any idea of what I need?

Thanks a lot!
    I agree a keyboard amp is definately the way to go. They are the most versatile (other than a PA system) since they are designed to reproduce all the frequencies of a keyboard. A guitar or bass amp are Taylored for those frequency ranges, a Bass amp would be a second choice. A guitar amp would be a difinate no no, I think the amount of low frequency produced by the kick drum could ruin a guitar amp speaker. Roland makes some great keyboard amps in a wide range of wattages that sound fantastic. Fender and peavey also make decent keyboard amps, but my personal preference would be for a Roland.

User Info Menu

I don't know jack about drums..cause I'm a noob..so stop reading here

...I have a drummer friend who developed wrist problems off his digital set. Has something to do with the rebound compared to the accoustic. That's why I understand Roland developed those heads that are almost like real drum heads rather than the black frisbee things.

Any problems with this rumor.. please refer back to beginning of me message lad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazi
    I don't know jack about drums..cause I'm a noob..so stop reading here

...I have a drummer friend who developed wrist problems off his digital set. Has something to do with the rebound compared to the accoustic. That's why I understand Roland developed those heads that are almost like real drum heads rather than the black frisbee things.

Any problems with this rumor.. please refer back to beginning of me message lad
    Not sure if Roland developed the mesh heads because people had wrist problems, but yes, they are pretty much like playing an acoustic kit. The Roland V-Drum range is by far the best among electric kits, with mesh heads with adjustable tension so as to get the perfect feel and rebound level for what a particular person wants.

The standard rubber pad that has been around for so long now is I think just basically cheaper and easier to manufacture, that's why it is the most common. It doesn't feel natural and requires you to kinda fight the amount of rebound you get, so that would probably be your friends problem.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I do like the weird material mesh thing they do on the roland digial drum skins thats cool.

And alaman. If your looking for something to just jam with your brother or friend whatever. And you dont need much volume... Just get a little 10watt / 15watt keyboard amp. They wont be much at all. Unless your actually aiming to play live with it you may need your own fold back for within a band. Maybe look at a yamaha powered wedge speaker. Again talk to your music store they will help you