Thread: singing and playing drums!!!!!plz help

User Info Menu

Default singing and playing drums!!!!!plz help

hi every1
    my band has a situation we had a gig a week ago everything was perfect only our vocalist sucked so we decided 2 let him go now we have a gig after 2 weeks so we decided tht each band member should pick a song and perform it .this the first time tht i play drums and vocals at the same time so if any1 has tips or maybe a youtube video or a dvd tht i can buy ill be very thankful
    (soz 4 the broken english)
    cheers

-----------------------
    Advertisement

'The Clamp It' is a break-through solution to help singing drummers.

The Clamp It

User Info Menu

Default Re: singing and playing drums!!!!!plz help

The only tip that works is to just do it. If you aren't comfortable then you probably will need to practice, practice, and you might even think about practicing.

To break it down further, be sure you can play the song without thinking about it and then make sure you can sing it without thinking about it.

Then merge the two.

Good luck!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm with Bish here. I work the drum part until it's pretty close to automatic. I tend to think more about the vocals, that takes more work for me.

User Info Menu

my timing goes a little off when i try to sing a fuul song.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I have always had a hard time with singing and playing but I noticed if it is a song I am already familiar with it goes together much easier.I agree with Bish,put in the time to practice and you can do it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

I would pick a simple song. Something like hard luck woman by Peter Chris or was it Eric??? anyway thats my two cents
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Like the others stated. The song has to be a none thinking aspect on the drum part. Then sing your heart out bro.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

I agree with picking a simple song and practicing lots and remember to breathe.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Listening is the key. Remember...drums don't give you much of a pitch to go by as say a guitar or keyboard. Get the guys to play the song in a key that is comfortable to sing in.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'll just echo what's been said before. Know the drums cold before you try to sing it, and make sure it's in a key where you don't have to stretch to sing.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Singing while playing is very much the same as playing an independence rhythm with your limbs. So approach it the same way as you would a limb independence exercise. Use a metronome, pay attention to the cadence of the vocal line, start slow and practice, practice, practice. It will get easier.

Good luck!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, sing in a key and tempo that is comfortable for you. You have to make your voice the "fifth limb", so to speak. And watch a lot of Phil Collins and Geddy Lee from Rush (even though Geddy's not drum related).....both gentlemen are just freaks when it comes to singing over different rhythms!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Get the drums down pretty well, then memorize those words and get back to singing and drumming- your drumming will be adversely affected by having to read words- ya gotta feel it baby.. try and make sure you don't end up singing every word on the beat - the words don't necessarily fall on the 1, 2 3 or 4 of the bar, if ya know what i mean.

User Info Menu

I can't speak about playing drums and singing, but I do a solo bass thing and vocal thing at open mics. I picked osngs that I could already sing and dkumbed down the bass parts.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3hXgfV9Lzo"]YouTube - boris the spider[/ame]
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Great advice given here, and comps for working on singing and playing.

I would just add the age old play it slow until you feel comfortable then speed it up.
    Keep us posted on the progress, Best of luck to you.

User Info Menu

When my band's vocalist isn't at practice I handle vocal duties (I sing harmony and backup most of the time). You have to make sure you know the words, it's impossible to sing with any conviction otherwise. Mic placement is huge, don't let it get in the way or it'll be a frustrating night. Lastly, know the drum part inside and out and don't overplay. There is no time to think about playing that cool fill you've never tried live before. Play what you have down, most people think it's impressive enough if you can sing and play drums. Good luck.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Really , it comes down to practice, practice, practice. The more you do it, the easier it gets.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Practice is the key. KNow that first note you're singing. And I find I have to have a lyric sheet. Some of these songs I've know forever, but not having to remember that while keeping the beat helps me. Yeah it doesn't look as slick, but I'm not here for slick - just having fun. Close your eyes helps too, except when you glance at the lyric sheet.

Good luck. We're going thru that ourselves right now so I can identify.

Randy

User Info Menu

Practice is the key. KNow that first note you're singing. And I find I have to have a lyric sheet. Some of these songs I've know forever, but not having to remember that while keeping the beat helps me. Yeah it doesn't look as slick, but I'm not here for slick - just having fun. Close your eyes helps too, except when you glance at the lyric sheet.

Good luck. We're going thru that ourselves right now so I can identify.

Randy