Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Here is a tough one.

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Here is a tough one.

    Hello,

    I got my new PDP maple set and I got them tuned up(the best i can anyway), HOWEVER if I am playing semi-lightly the toms sound amazing, but when I lay into them a little more they just sound all choked and crappy(mainly the middle 12" tom), as you can hear in my new video, I have no idea how to fix this, what is happening to cause this, HELP.
    Last edited by Pdplayer; 05-15-2007 at 11:05 AM.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default

    How tight are the heads. Personally, for me, I find that toms respond much better when they are tuned down some. Now you don't want to go down so much as to get that splatty real loose sound. But, if you've got em real tight, try tuning them down and see how that works.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default

    No there just medium loose, there not very tight at all, about 1/4 past the wrinkles and the bottom head is a 1/2 turn past the wrinkles

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default

    How do you tune them? Do you have a tuning tool, like a DrumDial or a DrumTorque? I would suggest trying one of those....I use a DrumTorque, and it comes with a chart that tells you what torque level to set the tension rods at for a bunch of different tunings, and also what size drum, such as, if you like your drums tuned a bit lower, tune your 10" tom's batter head to this torque value and the resonant head to this torque value, and right on down the line, 12" tom, 14" tom, 16" inch, etc.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    How do you tune them? Do you have a tuning tool, like a DrumDial or a DrumTorque? I would suggest trying one of those....I use a DrumTorque, and it comes with a chart that tells you what torque level to set the tension rods at for a bunch of different tunings, and also what size drum, such as, if you like your drums tuned a bit lower, tune your 10" tom's batter head to this torque value and the resonant head to this torque value, and right on down the line, 12" tom, 14" tom, 16" inch, etc.
    Hello BTG,

    No I have no tuning tool, so now what? I am getting a little frustrated, I checked all the bearing edges all are good, I checked for roundness all are good, but my damn 12" tom just has a stupid flutter ring stortly after the tom is struck, I just can't get rid of it, unless I put on my Evans EC2 heads, but then I loose a little of the ring that I like, and some of the sustain and resonance goes away, I am very frustrated with this, I know for a fact these drums can sound amazing, I just have my head up my you know what, please help.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Well, a lot of that could be the room you are playing in, too. I bet if you set up and played in, say, your garage (or whatever...just a different room), I bet that tom wouldn't ring.


    Here, check these out.....the Drum Torque is pretty cheap, and quite durable...I've had mine for about 15 years or so....probably more.

    http://www.music123.com/Universal-Ne...h-i80937.music

    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...que?sku=448808

    http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/NDTW.htm

    ....Just to check it out. I'm sure your local Guitar Center has these in stock, they're pretty popular. And besides, for around 40 bucks, you can't go wrong.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I've played with the torque keys before. They don't do a good job at all. IMO

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Well, a lot of that could be the room you are playing in, too. I bet if you set up and played in, say, your garage (or whatever...just a different room), I bet that tom wouldn't ring.


    Here, check these out.....the Drum Torque is pretty cheap, and quite durable...I've had mine for about 15 years or so....probably more.

    http://www.music123.com/Universal-Ne...h-i80937.music

    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...que?sku=448808

    http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/NDTW.htm

    ....Just to check it out. I'm sure your local Guitar Center has these in stock, they're pretty popular. And besides, for around 40 bucks, you can't go wrong.

    Thanks BTG I guess I will try this, but is there maybe something I am doing wrong?

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I still say most of it is the room you're playing in. I'd be willing to bet on it. You'd be amazed at what the acoustics of a room can do to the sound of a drum kit.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    I still say most of it is the room you're playing in. I'd be willing to bet on it. You'd be amazed at what the acoustics of a room can do to the sound of a drum kit.
    Well it's good to hear it's not me lol. So is there anything I can do to eliminate this, because this is the only room I got, so I got to make it work.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Hard to tell....I mean, some rooms just plain suck, especially small rooms. Where my band practices, at my guitar player's house, in a spare bedroom, my drums sound kinda dead too. But I know it's not my kit. I jammed with some other guys a couple months ago, just messing around, in a garage, and they sounded great, as usual. Next time you play at your church, or wherever for that matter, I bet they sound completely different than they do in that room.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Stupid rooms, do you think my video sounds like ****?

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Well after countless hours of tuning and tweaking to accommodate for my crappy little room, I finally got my drums to sound the way I want them to or at least good enough, although my kick drum still lacks the attack and depth I am craving any suggestion on that? I have both heads loose just past the wrinkles, and I get deep bass sound when the head is struck lightly, but it farts out totally when struck with some force, what am I doing wrong?

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    Well after countless hours of tuning and tweaking to accommodate for my crappy little room, I finally got my drums to sound the way I want them to or at least good enough, although my kick drum still lacks the attack and depth I am craving any suggestion on that? I have both heads loose just past the wrinkles, and I get deep bass sound when the head is struck lightly, but it farts out totally when struck with some force, what am I doing wrong?
    Have you considered porting the kick drum front head? I ported mine this weekend and it helped the tone quite a bit. If you want to accentuate the attack a little bit of muffling such as a rolled up towel against the head might help also.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer
    Have you considered porting the kick drum front head? I ported mine this weekend and it helped the tone quite a bit. If you want to accentuate the attack a little bit of muffling such as a rolled up towel against the head might help also.
    Porting hey you might be on to something, I ported my last kick drum and it opened it right up, I will do this tomorrow, thanks man.

    BTW my kit came with a pillow, so that is in there, thanks

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •