Thread: Leaving drums in car

User Info Menu

Default Leaving drums in car

Hey guys I thought I would ask the experts their advice on a situation. I recently started playing with a band once a week but this week we have back to back practice; tonight and then tomorrow night. I usually unpack my drums into my house no matter how late I get back but I was thinking of leaving them in tonight and tomorrow since I have to work early in the morning and then head to practice after. Do you guys think it will damage my drums leaving them in my car for that amount of time? If so do you think it would be okay to take out my snare and shells and leave my cymbals and hardware in the car? Thanks. Oh and I don't have a carport or garage and I park under a tree at work for some shade so my car is pretty much out in the elements. You input would be very much appreciated!
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Default Re: Leaving drums in car

I certainly would not class myself as an expert Pelican, but I have on occasions left my gear in the car, and have not suffered any damage. I think if they are cased, and you don,t have extreme weather conditions, then no harm will be done. I suppose the biggest threat would be having the car broken into. Just my 2 pence worth.
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Thanks and I forgot to mention I have my cymbals in a case but at the moment do not have cases for my shells or snare.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

But if you have extremes of weather where you are, especially heat...hardware....maybe, but drums and cymbals definitely do not leave in your car.....cased or not! I know what it's like with a 9 to 5 job plus having rehearsals/gigs several times a week, and I know how tired any drummer is after a full day work plus rehearsal.....been there done that. But 5-10 mins to unpack your car is time better spent than weeks, months or longer working to replace cymbals that have distempered and made useless due to heat buildup in your car or drums stolen when you've woken up in the morning and some lowlife has decided to smash your car windows, or God forbid, stolen your car because you've got your drums out in display.

Don't risk it...grin and bear it....get all your gear safe inside your home.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Back when I was playing the New England Club Circuit I played 4 nights a week and 3 nights off. For the 3 nights and days off, my kit stayed packed up in the band truck. Hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter, never had a problem other then going out of tune. In the winter when I would bring them inside from the cold I'd open the cases and let the air get to them for a bit before I took them out and set them up.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Leaving drums in car

Hey, pelican--

Leavin' anything in the car, much less my drums, makes me uneasy. If your car doesn't have tinted windows, you might as well set them outside for all the theft protection you have. You don't say what kind of car you own, but I'm presuming it's one with enough cargo space to hold a set of drums...

And even if the security wasn't an issue, you're definitely going to have an issue with the heat and humidity ... and at least the humidity ... could mess up your tuning.

Don't do it if you don't have to....

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Back when I was playing the New England Club Circuit I played 4 nights a week and 3 nights off. For the 3 nights and days off, my kit stayed packed up in the band truck. Hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter, never had a problem other then going out of tune. In the winter when I would bring them inside from the cold I'd open the cases and let the air get to them for a bit before I took them out and set them up.
    Same here.....only once did I have a problem with a shell cracking....but it was -1000 below zero outside.

You should be more concerned about theft.....as I know of three people that have had gear stolen from their cars.

One was an entire PA system and keyboards.
    Last edited by EddieV; 03-16-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I am lazy. I'd leave them in the car. I can't imagine my car getting as hot as a kiln to drastically affect the cymbal. If it did, than cymbals at outdoor gigs should be melting off the cymbal stands here in the desert.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

If the economy wasn't so tough, you might get away with it, but people are doing whatever they can to survive, and that just might include taking your drums for a quick sale. In my mind, the question is whether you can afford to risk that.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I grew up in Florida with the heat and humidity. We certainly did not leave our drums in the car under those summer conditions. I've seen too many drums where the wrap has been damaged....the adhesive or something just goes out of wack and pretty soon you have the bubbles and unbuckling. Also, you'd have to re-tune all your drums cause the heads will soften and stretch.

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for all the great advice and opinions. I brought my drums and cymbals inside the house and left the hardware in the trunk. When I asked the question I wasn't even thinking about someone stealing my drums I was just focused on whether or not they would be damaged by the elements. I drive an old volvo with huge windows so you can probably see the drumset from a mile away don't want to risk someone breaking in and taking my baby.

User Info Menu

Personally, theivery would be a bigger concern than climatic or enviromental conditions. A car is very unlikely to overheat over night time, don't you think?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    A car is very unlikely to overheat over night time, don't you think?
    Overnight....maybe not.....but during the day? We've had summers where an enclosed car space can exceed 50 degrees Celcius. So don't leave gear in during the day, for sure.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

even after a gig at 3am with headaches from being so tired i always take my kit inside, i would be gutted if anything happened to it..
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

Larrysperf Guest

I wouldnt leave my dog , or child in car so dont do it to your drums . Even in winter inside of car can get very hot. If you have to get a shield for front window to block sun

User Info Menu

My first drum teacher had a pickup truck with a cap on it. He rotated keeping one of two sets in the truck. The sets were a Gretch Catalina and a Pearl I-don't-know-what. He dept one in the truck in the winter and the other in the summer. I believe he kept his cymbals and hardware there, too.

The funny thing about this was that if any drums at all were already set up where he was going to play, he'd use those. I asked him if he was going to play in my basement where my Sound Percussions and ZBTs live, I could not even get the question out before he said he'd play "K Mart drums" if it meant he did not have to set his up.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.