Thread: been along time since i rock n roll

User Info Menu

Default been along time since i rock n roll

its been 15 years since played drums. i played for 10 years then went to school and never had time to play so i sold them. about a month ago i purchased a Mapex pro m set that i love, with sabian aax all aound and the iron cobra double pedals. need some tips on getting my muscle back, my arms ok but my legs are killing me. ive heard that riding bikes will help if you ride with your tip toes. also thought of setting my kit up left handed, i tried this when i played before for about a month then joined another band and went back to right handed, didnt know if anybody else tried this.

its good to be back, i really missed playin i figure if everyone had a drum set there would be no wars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waznad
    ive heard that riding bikes will help if you ride with your tip toes.
    Wha? Dude, everyone knows the way to build youself up is to ride the bike with no hands while playing air-trombone.

Welcome aboard. If you really want to get off to the right start here, go to this thread and vote for BigTallG.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=1907&page=2

User Info Menu

Riding bike, jogging, jump rope, and simple double bass exercises can get you back on your feet, get it? That was kinda stupid lol.

Welcome to drumchat!
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum and welcome back to drumming. sounds like you got yourself some nice gear. all i can suggest to build strength back up is to keep playin' them drums.

User Info Menu

Welcome back to drumming and welcome to the forum.

I completely agree with funky, just practice playing those drums, ride your bike if you want, but play those drums.

User Info Menu

Hey there Waznad, welcome to the family!

you can jump rope and stuff, but if you're a real man, you will play until your hands bleed and you go unconscious from all the noise and blood!

I just kept playing until it didn't hurt anymore.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

thanks for the advice guys. i know its not the best question to ask but im getting frustrated that i have a hard time getting thru a whole song. i cant play them as much as id like to because of work and family ( they come first). i have done two things: bought my seven year old a cheap electric set and i use them just as much. then set up the pedal that came with the kit under my desk at work an wear it out, this has helped the most.

just bought all new heads for it, i know the ones i have arent that old but i want it to sound as good as possible. i put powerstroke 3 on top and ambassadors on bottoms with the powersonic on kick and the coated emporer x on snare on this mapex should sound great. i had a pearl export as my first kit back in 1981? and this is a 1000 times better.

thanks again