Thread: Latin Rhythm Traders

User Info Menu

Default Latin Rhythm Traders

Hello, I was wondering how the quality of these congas are. How do they compare to LP Matadors? I have a Matador Tumba now and am thinking of adding two more drums to my set.

Thanks,
    William

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Latin Rhythm Traders

Hey, William--

Welcome aboard (and what took ya so long?) !

I wish I could help you, but I have never heard of Latin Rhythm Traders; most of the congueros and bongoseros in DrumChat play various Latin Percussion brands, Remos, or Tocas, among others.

Have you played any congas other than Matadors? The more you've played, of course, the better "feel" (no pun intended) you'll have on what you're looking for...

If someone has any experience with Latin Rhythm Traders hand drums, please let all of us know!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Latin Rhythm Traders

Thanks for the reply. I found this website [url removed. please review the forum rules about commercial links - thank you] when I was looking for skins.

I only have experience with LP products and an unknown Conga.

When I first started playing my instructor suggested I purchase a Tumba first. I heard that the tumba would be the most difficult to get good slaps from so when I added another drum it would be easier to play.

Eventually when I added the tumba along with my other percussion instruments when I would play shows with my band, and a band mate said that he had an unknown conga I could use if I ever wanted to. Well later I started using both drums and I enjoy having a conga (easier slaps). The skin feels better as well pretty sure it's steer. On the Matador it's Water Buffalo.

So I'm gonna either purchase another Matador (either Quinto or Conga)
    Or purchase from another company. The prices on the Latin Rhythm traders look good at the Mambo Series level.
    Last edited by drummer; 03-16-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: commercial

User Info Menu

Latin Rhythm Traders are on the west coast in Portland Oregon and on the Web. They have basically 2 lines of congas. They have an interesting looking Ash set with 5 options; 10" Requinto, 11" Quinto, 11 3/4" Conga, 12 1/2" Tumba and a 14" El Monstro.

I am courious but I have only heard little bits nothing significant.

I hope to hear more about these.

Jerry

User Info Menu

I have never heard anything but good from Rhythm Traders. they are my local shop and the guys are great the stuff is great .. call and talk to them .. chances are you'll order..
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

I called these guys the other day to talk about their Latin RT conga line. A guy named Martin answered the phone. He was very informative and helpful, but according to him they make 1 buy a year from Taiwan,, usually in November. This means that toward the end of th summer their inventory gets slim. Friday they only had mismatched pieces and they have not placed an order yet for this year. He said that they (like any other business) only have so much capital to put into the business and they have made some big investments in other drum lines this year and he is not sure what they will be purchasing this fall in the LRT conga line. He was edging me toward some other brands that they have on hand. Another thing he pointed out is that the hand drum market is up and down. So what I took away from the conversation was that Rhythm Traders was happy with the Latin Rhythm Traders line of congas but the sales volume doesn't support making large investments in inventory compared to investing in other products. Smart business on their part, but it would shy me away from buying the brand for concern that they will not be able to support the product over the long run. If I wanted to add another conga of the same brand later in time, it may not be available.

FYI.

I just read this back and I have an Edit; in case Martin's boss reads this, I want to make it clear that Martin in no way was negative about LRT or the product line.. he was actually encouraging when talking about the quality of the product.
    Last edited by busyflyin; 09-26-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    LP Performer Quinto, Conga, Tumba & Remo Nuskyn Heads
    Remo 14" djembe
    Zildjian 14" ZHT High Hats
    Sabian 13"AA El Sabor Salsa Splash
    Cajon
    LP Performer Series Bongos
    TreeWorks chimes