Thread: Drum Head Replacement

User Info Menu

Default Drum Head Replacement

Hey, I have an entry level kit at the moment, and my drum teacher said that ideally I need to replace the heads, but I haven't had the opportunity to ask him about changing them

I have a standard size rock kit, what drum head packs do you guys suggest and wil I need to replace both the top and bottom?

At the moment my bass drum is quite boomy, and I was told that I could also get a more punchy sound through better heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Head Replacement

You'll find lots of recent posts for people replacing heads, including one from myself back a couple of weeks ago. I am using the following heads and I couldn't be happier with the sound:

Batter Side:
    Toms - Evans EC2 coated
    Snare - Aquarian Hi-Energy
    Kick - Aquarian Superkick II

Res Side:
    Toms - Evans G1 clear
    Snare - Hazy 300
    Kick - Haven't changed it yet since I don't mind the sound I'm getting ATM

Also for a punchier sound you may want to think about cutting a port hole in the resonant head of the kick drum. This can be done pretty easily with a very hot metal can (melt through the head for a perfect circle) or you can use a circle cut out, trace it and use a razor knife. I tried both methods just to test em out on some old heads I have and the first method was easier for me.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Head Replacement

Ah thanks, I'll keep my current heads for the moment an work on technique first :P