Thread: An interesting night

User Info Menu

Default An interesting night

So for the past week, I'd been preparing myself for last night's drumline practice, as I was switching to Snare for the day (or that was what was in my head). I thought I'd try it out, see what I needed to work on technique-wise, performance-wise, etc.

Before I continue, there I need to mention that there is a ranking system to our drumline with each line (with the exception of Bass). The person/people in the center is/are the best, strongest player(s) of that line, and the ranking ripples out.

So I started out on the end, listening to what I needed to focus on (mostly to keep my left hand down when I'm not using it). Then, after a couple exercises, I was moved a snare in. I thought, cool. I'll kind of pat myself on the back for that one later. Granted, the person I'd switched with hadn't been with the line at all, but I'd been on tenors the whole time. We got a bit more into the exercises that I know, instead of the instructor making up little exercises later on. We got to triplet rolls, which I currently know more than the back of my hand (get it?).

I was moved into the center 3 snares.

That was pretty big. Granted, 2 of our more vital snares weren't there, but I had move in with the big guys in 1 night.

Now, I ask you: Should I switch to snare for this next year, with the knowing that if I do, it could make the snare line that much better?

Or should I stick to tenors, with 2 newbies coming in (assuming both the tenor veterans are staying) and know that it could make that line that much better?

Honestly, I'm torn here.

Thanks and all the best

concrete Building
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: An interesting night

Now theres a tough nut to crack.........

I say, follow your heart. Forget about making the line sound better, that will happen when it happens. Which line do you like better? Which line makes you happiest? And, is there a chance to switch in and out to be in both lines?

Best of luck, I was in the snare line but could play tri-toms and timbales if needed.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Default Re: An interesting night

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Now theres a tough nut to crack.........

I say, follow your heart. Forget about making the line sound better, that will happen when it happens. Which line do you like better? Which line makes you happiest? And, is there a chance to switch in and out to be in both lines?

Best of luck, I was in the snare line but could play tri-toms and timbales if needed.
    This.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html