Thread: Foothills Blues Society

User Info Menu

Default Foothills Blues Society

Yeah, that's the band name. We started out like so many other "blues Societies", but it dwindled down to 3 or 4 regulars. At that point(2009) , we were just jamming a couple times a month. A local blues singer with some international appeal (Melva Houston, if ya wanna look her up) is an old friend of mine. She suggested that we turn it into a backing band for her and some of her friends. Turns out, her agency didn't like the idea of her performing with us, so we just turned into our own band. Play locally, placed third in the 2010 Piedmont Blues challenge (Greensboro, NC) out of 6 bands on our first try.

Now we are hosting blues jams locally and still working towards more paying gigs. We have a FB page and a reverbnation page. FHBS on FB if ya wanna come "like" us.

All we do and want to do is blues. We try to stay away from the "list" of songs all the other local cover bands do, so we're limited in gigs we get, but it's for fun mostly and a few bucks when we can. No aspirations of anything other than having fun and helping keep the blues alive in our area. We performn in blues challenges, which has allowed us to meet some really cool people, like MAtt "Guitar" Murphy of Blues Brothers fame.

Hope to see ya at a blues jam or festival some time...
    Randy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Foothills Blues Society

Welcome to Drum Chat, Randy.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for having me. This is a great project. Our keybd player is best friend from high school; one gtr player is my 10 yr old son, who has the licks to back it up (these kids today learn REAAALLLLL quick); bass player is my 16 y/o nephew. Other new guitar player is a local cop who loves blues and works with youth. So we all have a good time for the sake of having a good time and getting these young 'uns playing live music.

Randy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 66musicmaster View Post
    Thanks for having me. This is a great project. Our keybd player is best friend from high school; one gtr player is my 10 yr old son, who has the licks to back it up (these kids today learn REAAALLLLL quick); bass player is my 16 y/o nephew. Other new guitar player is a local cop who loves blues and works with youth. So we all have a good time for the sake of having a good time and getting these young 'uns playing live music.

Randy
    At least for guitar, I think the younger generation has more influences than we (I) had when learning to play. Starting with EVH, SRV and others, that stuff wasn't heard of in my day.
    My two biggest influences were Jeff Porcaro and Neil Peart. Oh wait, I'm dating myself. Never mind.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Jeff Porcaro - yeah I liked Toto back in the day. I could never keep up with Peart, didn't even try.

Not only do the young guys have the super guitarists like SRV and EVH, they have the internet and youtube. Just about any song you want is tabbed out for free and video lessons too. So they can learn to "play" well faster and more correctly than we ever could. They may not always understand or play with the feeling that they should, but hopefully that can develop with time. My son isn't the fastest guitar player, but he does feel the music and can really play with feeling.

Randy