Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Bought a Drumset!

User Info Menu

Default I Bought a Drumset!

I went to Guitar Center and there was this set, used, $100.00. I got five drums, pedal, throne, snare stand, one cymbal stand, hi-hat stand! It is a cheap one, I guess, Aria I think. It has Remo heads, they are in nice shape. I am so happy to have a real set! Next month, I will buy one more stand and cymbals, but I am going to get good ones, they have kits (hi-hat, snare and ride) for a little over two hundred, the one that starts with a Z, I don't remember the name, you guys know which ones I am talking about. Anyways, I am so excited! My hubby used to set up and tear down drums and said this set is in great shape and it was a great deal! This is all I need at this point, so it was perfect! WOO_HOO!

User Info Menu

That would be Zildjian lol
    Congratulations! Sounds like your off to a fine sounding setup, I've never heard of Aria though.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Congratulations Drummina

Zildjian cymbals are awesome cymbals and my favorite, but for a starter like yourself may I please suggest Wuhan S series thin crashes, they sound just about identical to Zildjian A customs, but you can get a set including hats, crash and a ride for $160 here is the link

http://www.music123.com/Wuhan-S-Seri...k-i81573.music

I personnelly own the 16" S series medium thin crash and honestly like it better than my A custom, and it holds up everybit as good as my Zildjian, just an FYI.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your find, a great way to get started for a very little outlay. I would suggest you ask the store to let you try the cymbals in the store before you buy them. Try other brands too, beside the Wohan suggested, Sabian and Paste also have Cymbal packs in that price range. Make you choice on what sounds best to you not what the name is on them.

User Info Menu

CONGRATS im siked for you. Never heard of the brand but i mean seriously 100 bucks? cant beat that. Get some Ziljians or Wuhans like DDB said.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I appreciate all your input.

User Info Menu

We just finished setting it up, the cymbal stand is actually a very nice Pearl and the hi-hat stand is a really nice DW. My husband said those stands are each worth more than $100 and we made out like bandits. When I get all my cymbals and stuff, I'll post a picture. I am so happy!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Good for you Drummina! Congrats!

(pouts) I'm the only one without a drum kit

User Info Menu

Poor Drum Chick! You can fly out here for our next open jam party June 9th and play all day! I live pretty much as far away as possible while still in the continental U.S., but it will be worth it. We are serving Mexican food and spirits...

User Info Menu

congratz Drummina!, wow ziljen cymals and remo heads huh? better then my set already hehe, well have fun.. you'll love it

User Info Menu

Cracking bargain! we never get anything like that in uk. its madness * saves up to live in america*
    I ONLY WANTED TO HELP YOU ROLAND

User Info Menu

Yeah, but you have some great bands there...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lita3
    Cracking bargain! we never get anything like that in uk. its madness * saves up to live in america*
    *bows his head in reverence for the homeland of the mighty Led Zeppelin*

Hey, congrats on the new kit!

User Info Menu

Thanks man! I just peeked on my hubby's ebay watch list, he is watching a bunch of cymbals and a stand that I need. SSHHH, I am gonna let him surprise me...

John Bohnam died when I was in 8th grade. I knew then I would never see the might Led Zeppelin play live.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Good for you Drummina! Congrats!

(pouts) I'm the only one without a drum kit
    Nope. I dont have one yet either DC :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    Nope. I dont have one yet either DC :(
    I'm sure you'll have one before me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    I'm sure you'll have one before me
    Prolly :P But if my girlfriend is rich ill send you a couple of hundred bucks to get some bits for your kit :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Congrats!!!!! (I'm a little late now) LOL

I also picked up a cheap kit, and started buy getting a couple of good cymbals, and some decent heads. It now sounds a million times better than when I first got it.
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

User Info Menu

Congrats, XJ! Funny how good heads can improve the sound of a cheaper kit. I'm glad you're getting more of the sound that you want!

BTW, have you and Drummina posted pics of your kits. We'd love to see them, and give you guys a little love in the process!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    Congrats, XJ! Funny how good heads can improve the sound of a cheaper kit. I'm glad you're getting more of the sound that you want!

BTW, have you and Drummina posted pics of your kits. We'd love to see them, and give you guys a little love in the process!

Post #218

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=26&page=9
    (still have the trash cymbal)

Now I'm lovin some bass with the Super Kick 1....

Also, pulled it out of the corner a bit. Now my elbows don't smack the wall!

User Info Menu

Thanks, XJ99. My first set was in the red, too. Still like that color, even though I like to see wood grain on my drums just a bit more.

I see the Evans on your snare, but it looks like Aquarians on the toms, along with the Super Kick I on the bass. Have I got that right? My son has expressed an interest in drumming, so I want to give him my ddrum set (looks a lot like yours) when he comes back from his deployment in Iraq. Thought I'd put new heads on it for him.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    Thanks, XJ99. My first set was in the red, too. Still like that color, even though I like to see wood grain on my drums just a bit more.

I see the Evans on your snare, but it looks like Aquarians on the toms, along with the Super Kick I on the bass. Have I got that right? My son has expressed an interest in drumming, so I want to give him my ddrum set (looks a lot like yours) when he comes back from his deployment in Iraq. Thought I'd put new heads on it for him.

Yeah, I have the Aquarian Performance II's on the toms, and an Attack 1 ply medium textured on the snare. That's an Evans muffle ring on the snare. It took care of the ring, and just about zero'd out the snare buzz. The ring was free from Guitar Center, so I tried it for fun.

New heads made a world of difference on my kit. I still need to get the resonant head for the bass drum.

User Info Menu

The $100 was an absolute steal!! And having new remo heads already was a nice upgrade for free. Nice buy!

XJ99, how much did the batter head on the bass drum help over the stock heads? I have a cheap kit with junky heads and All the muffling in the world doesnt seem to help my bass heh. I'd like to get away with just buying a bass batter head but not if its going to sound sloppy still.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6
    The $100 was an absolute steal!! And having new remo heads already was a nice upgrade for free. Nice buy!

XJ99, how much did the batter head on the bass drum help over the stock heads? I have a cheap kit with junky heads and All the muffling in the world doesnt seem to help my bass heh. I'd like to get away with just buying a bass batter head but not if its going to sound sloppy still.

Even with the stock resonant head, it made a night and day difference! It delivers a nice sounding punch. I also stretched a thick piece of cloth under the resonant head.