Thread: unexpected success :)

User Info Menu

Default unexpected success :)

So, at the beggining of the semester in january I decided to join the school band. I had never played marching percussion before, only a drum kit at home. I started on snare which was awesome. About a week ago we had chair tryouts on high school cadets by john phillip sousa. Well today the band director let us know how we did, and I got 1st chair. So opinions...? What chair are you guys on?
    yeah! rockin that vintage snare!

User Info Menu

Default Re: unexpected success :)

Great work! When I was in high school I was pigeonholed into pit because I was one of the few percussionists who could read sheet music.

Eventually I made my way to section leader at Tenors. I think tenors translates better to kit than snare, but snare gets all the glory!

User Info Menu

Congrats :D

Technically, we don't have "chairs" in our drumline.

Our ranking system starts out in the middle, with "Center snare" or "Center Tenors", ect. except for basses. The center is the best, and the ranking ripples outward. So the ranking could flip-flop from year to year.

For basses, it's pretty simple. Bass one (highest bass) closest to snares, Bass five (lowest bass) farthest away.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rew_Dah_Mintz View Post
    So, at the beggining of the semester in january I decided to join the school band. I had never played marching percussion before, only a drum kit at home. I started on snare which was awesome. About a week ago we had chair tryouts on high school cadets by john phillip sousa. Well today the band director let us know how we did, and I got 1st chair. So opinions...? What chair are you guys on?
    Congratulations!!!

Currently, I'm in a recliner.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Rew, that is an acheivement..way back when I was in school this was a honor as well as reward for hard work..I never made 1st chair mostly due to my lack disapline ( miss spelled disapline , need spell check so WTG
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

The way our concert band program works is divided into chairs, but for marching snare its basically how CB described it. Congrats on first chair!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, but I cant celebrate yet! Chair battle week is next week. And at the end of the week our places our locked in. If I stay first chair by the end of the week I become next year section leader. So I gotta go practice our battle material is the song I mentioned in the OP and the 40 standard rudiments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Congratulations!!!

Lol....I though all of us were in chairs.....well, drum stools!

By the way, congratulations Rew_Dah_Mintz....do us all proud here at DC Chat!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Congrats, RDM ! Competition is a good thing...and it looks like you're King of the Hill....but, now you gotta step it up even more cause your friends are breathing down your neck waiting for you to make a mistake. Good luck, bro !

User Info Menu

Rew, get use to it buddy...there will ALWAYS be someone wanting to knock off the king of the hill..so stay sharp and do what comes natually...anotherwords stay loose with mind set and sharp on delivery!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Hence my name, the main thing that got me to where I am is rudiments

User Info Menu

So does that mean PB is a Davenport?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

That is awesome!! Congrats!
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Congrats Rew.........how did chaiir battle week go?

I envy you guys in the school band because some 25 or 30 years ago drumline was not popular as it is these days.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Good job! I'm happy to hear you are in a school that still promotes chair placement and healthy competition. There is a lot of touchy/feely stuff about how it should be about music and not about who is better or "best," and blah blah blah.... I believe that attitude is the path to mediocrity.

I understand the feeling though. When I was in 7th grade and in the 7th/8th grade band, I once did a chair placement tryout that bumped me from almost dead last (a tryout I didn't prepare for) to 3rd in the band's trumpet section. I stayed there the rest of the year but still in the 1st section behind an 8th grader and another 7th grader named Shawn. The following year me and Shawn battled for 1st chair - I think I probably held it longer than he did, but he did bump me once. As I recall it, he started the year as 1st, I bumped him, he bumped me back, and then I wound up with it by the end of the year. Then came HS band - ultimately I spent much more time as 1st than anything else, (Shawn kind of peaked around that time but I continued to step it up and advance) but it didn't start that way and I didn't take 1st until halfway through my 10th grade year.

And then the "real deal" began. As an Army Bandsman, there weren't "chairs" per se, but there were other indicators that let you know where you stood among the section as a whole, part of which were the ensembles that were secondary to the concert band and the ceremonial band, such as the big band and the brass quintet, both of which I became a part of. The big band had 4 trumpet players and the quintet had only 2.

Sorry for subjecting you to my meander down memory lane. In any case, good job, keep up the great work, and I hope you are able to hold on to the seat. Just remember, while talent is a wonderful thing to have, many talented players have been trumped by players with less talent who were willing to work hard, so get to work! Haha!

User Info Menu

Congratulations!!!

Bish: Got me beat....I'm on a lawn chair right now!

Rew Way to Go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Good job! I'm happy to hear you are in a school that still promotes chair placement and healthy competition. There is a lot of touchy/feely stuff about how it should be about music and not about who is better or "best," and blah blah blah.... I believe that attitude is the path to mediocrity.

I understand the feeling though. When I was in 7th grade and in the 7th/8th grade band, I once did a chair placement tryout that bumped me from almost dead last (a tryout I didn't prepare for) to 3rd in the band's trumpet section. I stayed there the rest of the year but still in the 1st section behind an 8th grader and another 7th grader named Shawn. The following year me and Shawn battled for 1st chair - I think I probably held it longer than he did, but he did bump me once. As I recall it, he started the year as 1st, I bumped him, he bumped me back, and then I wound up with it by the end of the year. Then came HS band - ultimately I spent much more time as 1st than anything else, (Shawn kind of peaked around that time but I continued to step it up and advance) but it didn't start that way and I didn't take 1st until halfway through my 10th grade year.

And then the "real deal" began. As an Army Bandsman, there weren't "chairs" per se, but there were other indicators that let you know where you stood among the section as a whole, part of which were the ensembles that were secondary to the concert band and the ceremonial band, such as the big band and the brass quintet, both of which I became a part of. The big band had 4 trumpet players and the quintet had only 2.

Sorry for subjecting you to my meander down memory lane. In any case, good job, keep up the great work, and I hope you are able to hold on to the seat. Just remember, while talent is a wonderful thing to have, many talented players have been trumped by players with less talent who were willing to work hard, so get to work! Haha!
    Lol, dont apologise, that was a great story to read.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I love musical chairs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Hey guys thanks for all the positive input, really appreciate the comments. I find that since I started on snare, I've been getting into odd time, and rudimental jazz drumming. I kept 1st chair for 5 weeks, but then a returning drummer took it. He is in no way a better drummer. LOUD and FAST is his motto... But I'm not worried. Ill just keep practicing

User Info Menu

Congrats on your spot Rew! Things are definitely looking up for you now. Keep up the great work, i'm sure you will go far in drumline.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hi Rew! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Congrats on your wonderful achievement!

Your talent will drive you far, way further than most so stick to your guns and keep practicing! Lovely to see drummers stick to their rudiments
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: unexpected success :)

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Bish: Got me beat....I'm on a lawn chair right now!

Rew Way to Go!
    Ha! I beat both of you guys I am in my reclining Lazy Boy. Oh yeah and R D M congrats man hope you don't mind some of the sarcasism here on the DC.