Thread: What do I need to record?

User Info Menu

Default What do I need to record?

Dont laugh , I know I need some microphones but what do I use to run them to so I can record my playing?

Do I record to some type of HD Recorder, do I need to go through some type of mixer?

I have no idea in regards to this.
    Please help if you can.

Cheers

Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Hello,

There are several ways to record yourself, a mixer is probably the most needed and common piece of equipment, but you will probably want to run it thru a gate, compressor and effects these additions help to really get a clean sound or you may not want those.

But mikes and a mixer into a tape machine or computer or cd burner will do the trick.

User Info Menu

u can use a 4 track. These usually have mixers built in. Or get an input bay and recording software for your computer. Then use the mixing capabilities on the software for that.

I do suggest really researching recording techniques to learn how to get the sound you want. which the first time is very hard to do but you'll have a better idea. This also might give you a better idea of how you want to record and onto what media.

Edit: buy drum mic clips. So much easier than trying to mic drums with mic stands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente
    u can use a 4 track. These usually have mixers built in. Or get an input bay and recording software for your computer. Then use the mixing capabilities on the software for that.

I do suggest really researching recording techniques to learn how to get the sound you want. which the first time is very hard to do but you'll have a better idea. This also might give you a better idea of how you want to record and onto what media.

Edit: buy drum mic clips. So much easier than trying to mic drums with mic stands.
    I agree with this as well.

User Info Menu

well i guess it depending on what you want to record, if you want to record for a CD or something, i'd probably use ddrumbum's suggestion. but if its just to hear yourself drum and its for nothing seroius, then just buy a 10 dollar mic and plug it into your computer and download a program called Audicy.

User Info Menu

OHOHOH I know. Me and my mate are going through this atm.
    You will find all over the net usb and firewire 8channel preamps. Ill find you out the name but my mate has found this firewire 8channel... You get two of them. Piggy back them. THen u have 16 channels in at 96khz (upper standard) or these ones he found are 320khz (highest ever made) Then you buy off ebay... or music store. A drum mic set. Watch out for the diaphram pressure levels. Higher the better really. Then get a program like Cubase or Audobe audition. Record the tracks *one of the best ways is to close mike your kit* even the cymbols. Then gate it in a way so only that sound gets through for that mike. Use a program called drummer gog. Thats good for metal,punk rock etc etc. If you want something different. You can buy condensers and in a nice room one condencer can do your whole kit. Me and my mate can do decent demo recordings with an overhead in his tin shed. So let us know some specifics of what you want to do and i can help more relative to you! :>

PS this is just a rough overview of what i can tell you. If you want to do analogue its all pretty simular :> The 8tracks should have analogue outs of the preamps to put into 8tracks or whatever but any computer with say..... over 2ghz processor and 512 ram can record in some form.