Thread: Evans EC2 vs G2

User Info Menu

Default Evans EC2 vs G2

I want to replace the stock heads on the toms of my new Tamas. I'm thinking of Evans, but I can't decide between the EC2s and the G2s. They are both 2 ply, but the EC2s have the Edge Control ring. I'm looking for a warm, less ringy sound. Which heads do you think will give me that?

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans EC2 vs G2

If you want less ring the EC2's will definitely do that job. Are your SS's hyperdrives? If so, then I'd definitely go with the G2's. We had G2's on my son's SS hyperdrive kit and they were great heads, but very ringy on his kit. Swapped to EC2 SST's and it's a much more controlled sound.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Judging by the sound you are looking for I would definitely go for the EC2s. They will have less ring.
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the quick reply. My SS's are regular depth. Sounds like the EC2 SSTs are the way to go then.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36023 View Post
    judging by the sound you are looking for i would definitely go for the ec2s. They will have less ring.
    +1
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Definitely the EC2's.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I've never (yet) played the G2's on my own kit...but I think the EC2 has a very "plastic" sound to them.

User Info Menu

I tried EC2's and didn't like the sound of them. G2's or coated emperors were more to my liking but that's subjective. The EC2's had more of a 'boing' sound to them. Not a lot of attack and a not so desirable after ring.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I can't speak for for an ec2's, but I have imperialstars (a much lower end set i know), but I switched from pinstripes to G2s, and I doubt I'll ever use a different head on my set. (as compared to any other heads I've heard/tried)
    Drums:
    Tama Imperialstar
    Heads:
    Evans coated G2s
    Evans Genera HD dry snare
    Cymbals:
    Sabian AAX
    16" stage crash
    20" stage ride
    14" stage hats
    Sabian AA 18" china

User Info Menu

I've used both. EC2s work best for you.

Check out Evans Onyx, too. Kinda a good mix between the two.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

EC2's over EC reso is the best combination that I have tried so far and I will stick with those heads. G2's are a realy good head too cause that's what I was using before but I wanted a more warmer mellow sound and the EC's did that for me.

User Info Menu

EC2 will give you a more focused sound with less ring. You could also opt for G2s and get yourself some muffling devices (Moon Gel, Evans E-Rings, etc.) to give you a similar effect. I tend to like the G2 with muffling a little more just because you can decide how much to "control" the sound with Moon Gel and such. But if you know you definitely want a muffled sound 100% of the time, the EC2 is the less fussy option. Both are great quality heads.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I just got a Ludwig 75th Anniversary Kit (with 12" & 13" Power Toms,plus 16" Floor Tom),I have been experimenting with Heads,and Tunings,I have more tuning combinations to try out yet,But i seem to get a more of a likable sound from the Evans G2s (using a Evans Reso 7) than with EC2 Head, they sound very Plastic,i was hoping the EC2 Heads would give me more depth,But as i said i still have more combinations to try yet,I've just not hit on the right yet as yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0127frey View Post
    I just got a Ludwig 75th Anniversary Kit (with 12" & 13" Power Toms,plus 16" Floor Tom),I have been experimenting with Heads,and Tunings,I have more tuning combinations to try out yet,But i seem to get a more of a likable sound from the Evans G2s (using a Evans Reso 7) than with EC2 Head, they sound very Plastic,i was hoping the EC2 Heads would give me more depth,But as i said i still have more combinations to try yet,I've just not hit on the right yet as yet.
    I have 7 kits( about 5 too many ) and I have both. My Yammies have clear G2's and I like the initial attack sound on the deep toms.I also have them on my Gretsch kit, they sound good on the 30 deg. bearing edges.

User Info Menu

Since moving to North Carolina, I have been trying a lot of head combo's. Right now (and for the last year) I have had Remo Ebony Ambassadors over Evans G1's. 1 day I like the sound, the next day I don't'.

When I go back over my videos, the 2 combo's that stand out the most are EC2 Frosted over G2's and G2's over G1's. I will probably be going back to 1 of those combinations soon.

After 61 years of playing these damn fool things, I have seen them go from what used to be the "normal" setup i.e. up tom mounted on the BD, to various up tom holders, to drummers that swear that the sound is so much better with a "virgin" BD and X bearing edges.

Several years ago, there were some so called "experts" that said they could tell the difference in sound from a regular (up tom mounted on BD) to different things like opti mounts, to virgin BD's with the up tom in a snare stand or mounted on a cymbal stand, and the difference in the bearing edges. When called on it, they couldn't tell the difference because they couldn't see the drum sets. (which were tuned and played by the same guy). It is/was on you tube for a couple of years.

Bottom Line: If you want to hear a difference, you will hear a difference. (this is probably going to get me a ton of flak). The tuning to notes, the wood they are made from , the bearing edges etc. cease to have meaning on a instrument that, when moved from a 12x12 room to a 10x10 room, sound different. When they are played in a club that has a lot of hard surfaces they will sound different (sometimes drastically) then when they are played in a club with a lot of carpeting, drapes, whatever. Set them up and run your sound check in a empty club in the afternoon, come back at night when there are 300 people there and they will sound a bit different because people soak up sound. Drums, way more than any other instrument, are at the mercy of acoustics. It's only been the last 10-15 years that I've heard drummers make such a big deal out of bearing edges, tom mounts, and various other things.

Buy the heads you think you want, tune them up to where you like them, and, when you have to move them, be prepared for a difference in sound, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. So, with all due respects DMD, what the bearing edges are, in the long run, mean squat. It will always come down to the tuning, or lack of ability to tune. I will say it again, 1 of the best sounding sets I have heard in decades of playing was a guy with a set of US Mercury drums, and 1 of the worst sounding sets was Buddy Rich's.

I am now going down into my bunker.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 07-05-2018 at 04:48 AM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Both are great heads with drummers having a preference depending on lots of variables and opinions. I've used both and have been happy with both. However, I've settled on coated G2's over clear G1's on my toms as I find this gives me my preferred focused but warm sound I like out of my toms. Coated heads, to my ears, provide a warmer overall tone compared to their clear counterparts. I then use various tunings/muffling to take account of whatever setup I'm using and the room I'm playing. Tuning is never, ever set and forget.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I agree with you, Rick. I am mystified at how many people are looking for that "perfect" sound and can't for the life of me figure out
    how they will know they have it when the acoustics where they play are so varied.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

For me Coated G2 over EC Resonant

User Info Menu

It's been over 7 years since I originally posted to this thread. Man how time flies.
    Signature here