Thread: Ear Training?

User Info Menu

Default Ear Training?

My teacher wants me to pick a song or two that that are relatively straight forward where I can hear what’s happening on the drum set and then he wants me to work on them for our lesson next week. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Back In Black

User Info Menu

Queen's "We will, Rock YOu!!" Not sure That's the exact title but I'm sure you've heard it. Very easy to hear what the drummer is doing

User Info Menu

Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog"

User Info Menu

Song 2 by Blur would probably be a good one too. Actually on RD's suggestion you cold probably choose any AC/DC - they're all pretty straight forward drum wise.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Whoa,,,
    Tom Sawyer by Rush, I love that song and it isn't really that difficult.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Anything AC/DC, not to mention playing to AC/DC is really fun, because it is so easy you really have alot of room to add in your own spice.

User Info Menu

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the drummer for Rush, Niel Peart ???? How the hell would it be "not that difficult"? i'm gonna have to listen to it

EDIT: Ok, yeah, I'm gonna have to go with "not that difficult" is not entirley accurate, sorry, but maybe your aare higher than mine for what seems difficult, but the dude has some interesting patterns to say the least going in that song.
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 05-16-2007 at 08:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the drummer for Rush, Niel Peart ???? How the hell would it be "not that difficult"? i'm gonna have to listen to it
    Sorry, I'll correct myself...
    True, the drummer of Rush IS indeed Neil Peart, however, the rhythms to Tom Sawyer are LESS difficult than most Rush compositions. At least for me is what I meant, Crazyman, but the beat isn't all that hard to get down if you just listen to it a bunch of times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat
    Whoa,,,
    Tom Sawyer by Rush, I love that song and it isn't really that difficult.
    Dude you must have mad skills then, because it took me forever to learn this song, I think it is very difficult, it is an awesome song, but not a song for a beginner, just my thought.

User Info Menu

Eh, thanks for the compliment, Kevin. I think that when people listen to Rush they immediately expect it to be overwhelming and thats why most say accomplishing their songs must take alot of talent. I guess since it was the first Rush song I ever heard and didn't know jack about Neil I could grasp the beat and break it down well, idk. I'm sure you could pull it off easy because I see in your videos you are definately a more skilled drummer than myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat
    Sorry, I'll correct myself...
    True, the drummer of Rush IS indeed Neil Peart, however, the rhythms to Tom Sawyer are LESS difficult than most Rush compositions. At least for me is what I meant, Crazyman, but the beat isn't all that hard to get down if you just listen to it a bunch of times.
    Ok, see now THAT I can agree with. I don't think it is something a beginner (no offence DC) would be able to just go - "Oh, ok, I know what he's doing". The main issue with that song is not so much that he is playing anything to crazy, just the timing signature on some of the sections of the song, where it departs from anything close to regular and sounds like it's going into some wierd sort of 5/7 timing or something - the sort of thing I would expect from Danny Carey. I could proabably play it, I just wouldn't necassarily know how to explain it.

User Info Menu

Thats the fun part and mainly what makes artists like Neil and Danny so special, you just can't explain the technique.
    I'm definately much more of an ear coordinated person so playing things to what I hear aren't that difficult, just try it over and over again.

User Info Menu

I dont know what level your at but "smile in your sleep" By silverstein is pretty interesting in an easy kind of way.

I think.

User Info Menu

Any Sex Pistols song.

User Info Menu

OK, I got three songs:

Show Me How To Live - Audioslave
    Back In Black - AC/DC
    The Reason - Hoobastank

User Info Menu

Y'know, it's not too late to give us Mr. O'leary's e-mail address. I think several hundred messages saying "Hey, sell that freak'n motorcycle and buy your wife a drum kit" just might work. Then you can start learning YYZ and the 18 minute drum solo from Moby D_i_ck on the real thing!

MESSAGE TO MR. O'LEARY: Happy wife = happy life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Y'know, it's not too late to give us Mr. O'leary's e-mail address. I think several hundred messages saying "Hey, sell that freak'n motorcycle and buy your wife a drum kit" just might work. Then you can start learning YYZ and the 18 minute drum solo from Moby D_i_ck on the real thing!

MESSAGE TO MR. O'LEARY: Happy wife = happy life.
    He won't go for it, we'd have to move for me to get a drum kit and that's just never going to happen...... He'd get rid of me before he'd move LOL

Anyone looking for a drumming wife? (BTW, I don't cook but I do serve lemonade).........
    Last edited by drum_chick; 05-17-2007 at 02:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Why do you need an entire new house for a set of drums? If room is the problem you can get a Yamaha Hip Gig for well under a grand and it sets up in minutes. You can store it in a closet.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...c=00633&247SEM

User Info Menu

I have no extra space, I live in a two bedroom condo with 5 people (my step-daughters don't live there every day but their stuff is there). We have no space, not even closet space. The mini kit I have is about all I can fit in my house right now and that stays in the living room in a small corner (I move it into my bedroom in the middle of the room to practice). I would need an entire new house for a set of drums, trust me........

User Info Menu

Oh, this is so easy.

Plan 1) The girls sleep in the living room when they are over. You tell 'em it's a slumber party. Bedroom two is now the shrine to drumming.

Plan b) The living room is now the shrine to drumming. Couch, TV, end tables, all gone. "Just sit on the floor and marvel at my amazing artistry!".

Emergency Plan- Have your husband/roadie hump those bad boys down to the carport and play out there. Meanwhile, the bed in the M. bedroom is gone to make room for storing your kit.

Seriously, the Hip Gig is very tiny, but it sounds like a full sized kit. My son's teacher has one set up in his office. I'd say it takes up about a 5X5 area or less. For storage, when it's disassembled it'll stack up in a corner and take up less than a 2X2 area.

User Info Menu

After the money my hubby already spent on me with what I have now, he's not going to be spending another dime.

But I guess I could make all my girls sleep in my truck, now there's an idea!

User Info Menu

I vote back in black, its very straight forward (for the most part)

User Info Menu

Hm dont underestimate the rock. Its so stupidly simple. Tricky parts are put in to make sure he dont fall asleep :P Have you got and land DC. Get your hubbie to build you a shed. Im making my parents do it. Then ill teach you how to line it :>

User Info Menu

No land for a shed :-(