Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor tom tuning

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom tuning

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I don't know how all this tuning just barely above wrinkle got started. It was meant for bass drum tuneing, and for some that's fine but.....???? not me.
    Drums need tone not blattt. Tune those drums up and let them ring out.
    I get good tone by having the resonant head tuned pretty close to the batter head. Maybe the reso a touch lower. Sometimes even. Being barely different in tuneing between the two gives them resonance. You have to experiment and you willl hear and figure it out. I think this tuneing thing has been blown way out of proportion. It's not that hard. Pitch those toms at intervals. Tune those heads up. Don't be afraid to tighten them up a little. You can tell if there dead or alive. When you are alone and the toms ring that's good. There going to sound that much better when your jamming with a band or in a large room with band.
    Completely agree.

User Info Menu

From mmy perspective, it would seem as though the low tuning comes from all the recordings where the drum tone is such a dramatic low tone. But most of us will not achieve that because we're not in studio with folks micing from all angles and EQ-ing and so on.

And as said, a nice ring alone will change to something better when recorded or with band. At least that's what I'm finding.

All that ringing alone can be annoying when you are practicing alone though. Mybe why the OP is working so hard to find the right setup. I hope we've at least helped by hijacking the thread.... : )

Randy

User Info Menu

I've Always been tuning the reso higher pitch than the batter primarily because of what I have been reading online through the years. Then again I use pins on batter and ambassadors on reso side and I find I get a short sustain and resonance. But the folks are right, what sounds good and fat when playing alone sounds dead when playing with a band.
    Last edited by Finkleworth; 01-21-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    Late 90's Premier APK in White Heat
    11x12 Power Tom
    12x13 Power Tom
    13x14 Power Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    2X (22x16) Bass Drums

Looking for 10X9 Power Tom (White)

User Info Menu

Resonance is just part of the instrument. I suppose if you want to make it as low and lifeless as possible you could put evans hydraulics on top and bottom.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I have on 12 and 14: super 2 (aquarian) over amb
    tune reso JAW +1/4
    tune batter JAW and then tighten so that I lose the attack until it gets too high, than bring it back down, usually ends up being JAW +1 1/4
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

I love a deep ft sound. I bought floating feet for more resonance, and I put a large min emad on the batter head. I use an emperor clear on top and ambassador clear on the bottom. I tune the reso head higher then the batter. Best sounding floor tom I've ever heard!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I played my 18 floor tom the other day in a different room. Totally different sonically. It never sounded better. I think we get use to hearing our drums in one place all the time and it gets stale. I literally forgot how big and fat my 18 really is.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I played my 18 floor tom the other day in a different room. Totally different sonically. It never sounded better. I think we get use to hearing our drums in one place all the time and it gets stale. I literally forgot how big and fat my 18 really is.
    As an experiment, I brought my drums into a concrete corner room in my basement. Everything sounds a lot more open.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Are you tuning your drums from high to low or low to high?

Make sure you always start with the low tom. You can always tune a little higher but going lower has its limits. I'd retune your kit starting with the floor tom and find the tone you love best there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Are you tuning your drums from high to low or low to high?

Make sure you always start with the low tom. You can always tune a little higher but going lower has its limits. I'd retune your kit starting with the floor tom and find the tone you love best there.
    I have a tendency to tune my floor toms like gong drums, and my rack tom quite high. I start with the lowest.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I tune my toms to Three Blind Mice and let it go at that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roosto View Post
    I tune my toms to Three Blind Mice and let it go at that.
    I've heard of others doing that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I've heard of others doing that.

I tune mine to Bolero with a touch of 2001 thrown in for good measure.

I also tune from the middle up.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I'm at 112.5hz batter and 143.5 reso on my 16" Resonator floor tom,which puts it at D2. EC2s on top,EC reso on bottom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TubThumper View Post
    I'm at 112.5hz batter and 143.5 reso on my 16" Resonator floor tom,which puts it at D2. EC2s on top,EC reso on bottom.
    TuneBot settings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    TuneBot settings?
    I use the Drumtune Pro app on my phone. Tried quite a few variations but those frequencies seem to be where that particular drum sounds good to my old ears.