Thread: Multicamera Recording Help

User Info Menu

Default Multicamera Recording Help

Hey guys

I want to do some video recording, and I will be recording from three different angles using three different cameras

Is there an easy way to sync the recordings so that I can edit them into one video from different angles etc?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Multicamera Recording Help

Yes. Any easy trick is to get all 3 cams zoomed out as wide as they go. Start recording, then have someone stand in the middle where all 3 cameras can see him and have that person clap.

That audio and video of the clap gives you a quick and easy sync.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Yes. Any easy trick is to get all 3 cams zoomed out as wide as they go. Start recording, then have someone stand in the middle where all 3 cameras can see him and have that person clap.

Ah yes, I see what you mean

What about editing software afterwards, what would you recommend?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Ah yes, I see what you mean

What about editing software afterwards, what would you recommend?
    I use Final Cut Pro...but unless you're a professional it doesn't make sense to pay thousands of dollars for the software.

If you have a Mac I'd use iMovie or drop the 99 bucks on Final Cut Express. Windows Movie Maker is an option on PC.

Oh...and obviously...once you do the clap don't stop recording as your cameras would no longer be in sync. So do the clap then zoom each camera in to get your framing for the shot.

Each time you start and stop recording do a new clap so you're sync'd up again.

Any other questions just let me know. (I shoot and edit video for a living)
    Last edited by marko138; 03-21-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: wrong program

User Info Menu

Thank's for you advice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Thank's for you advice
    No problem!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post

That's why this thing came to be so important in the movie industry:

Movie audio is always sync'd in post-porduction and dialog is recorded and "looped" back over the orginal dialog that was recorded on the set or location. Marko's suggestion to clap takes the place of the movie clap board.

Hold both arms out to the side like the guy in this pic and clap when the cameras are recording together.

As Marko stated, DO NOT TURN OFF the cameras. If you do, the entire video on all three cameras will become out of sync when they are turned back on and you'll have to re-shoot the entire video again from the start! Good luck and keep asking questions if you need more clarification.