Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of Joining Marching Band

User Info Menu

Default Benefits of Joining Marching Band

I've been studying techniques and histories of countless drummers for the past few days to complete a hero assignment for my english finals. I've noticed that most of the well known, extremely talented artists had at one point been in a marching band or school drum line.
    I haven't taken lessons since I began drumming so I can't say I know the benefits of having an instructor to discipline me and show the correct way to a higher skill level. What benefits of joining a marching band could help me in my full set playing and become better overall?

Thanks,
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

As a percussionist, joining a marching band will improve your understanding of music in general making you instead of just a drummer, a musician.

As a person you learn moral values that stick with you for life, such as responsibilty, and being trustworthy.

Then there are the chicks, I've met many muchachas on band competitions!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

I marched with a couple of Drum and bugle corps (on Horn) when I was in High school, the drummers all spent a lot of time working on Rudiments and the basics (even the bass drummers, and cymbal players) got out their practice pads and learned the basics. The snare drummers in both corps I was in had phenominal hands. Great way to discipline yourself to study the basics. Very time intensive hobby though.

User Info Menu

I suppose learning correct rudiments is just amplified in a snare drum line because it's vital to the sound of the whole band. Maybe my question should be: How important is it to learn many different rudiments to use around your set? Is this vital in becoming a better drumset player?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Hey! 32ndHeartBead

You learn alot being a percussionist not just the right technique and etc.

User Info Menu

Cool Benefits of Joining Marching Band

Music_Educator, first of all, welcome aboard! Will be looking forward to reading future posts...

Are you currently involved in a choir or band class? The rudiments are important, but musicianship is much more than nailing the technique...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

well I study rudiments a big chunk of my time on the drums, and it seems to be helping me, slowly.. but nothing comes easy

User Info Menu

Marching band is very helpfull to you

It helps you read, to become a great drummer, you have to know how to read music

It teaches you disipline, and helps you become better as a person

And, as my director says to the common football or band argument, what would you rather do, be on the bus with a bunch of smelly sweaty guys thirsty as all hell, or be on the bus with a bunch of nice smelling girls who enjoy the skills of a musician

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz
    And, as my director says to the common football or band argument, what would you rather do, be on the bus with a bunch of smelly sweaty guys thirsty as all hell, or be on the bus with a bunch of nice smelling girls who enjoy the skills of a musician
    SOOOO TRUE
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

This year I was center snare on my drumline, and before then I didnt REALLY know or fully understand what I was doin on the my set. The rudiments also help alot, with your sticking a technique.

User Info Menu

Thanks! I'm going to try and find a marching band that will let an old fart like me play with them LOL!!!!

User Info Menu

I'm joining the local pipe band in my town. Should be good fun, with the kilts and stuff.

I don't plan on remaining in the beginners class for long. Although, I will have to learn how to do traditional grip.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    I'm joining the local pipe band in my town. Should be good fun, with the kilts and stuff.

I don't plan on remaining in the beginners class for long. Although, I will have to learn how to do traditional grip.

HB58
    Not all marching percussion groups are using traditional grip now. There are new drum harnesses available that hold the marching drums flat, so a lot of marching snare lines are now using matched grip. Not that traditional grip is abad thing to learn. I've seen many professional players who switch between the two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Thanks! I'm going to try and find a marching band that will let an old fart like me play with them LOL!!!!
    You think you got problems! I haven't even ventured in here until now. I figured I would never have anything to do with a marching band. That opportunity march by a LOOOONG time ago. I came by just out of curiosity, and the one thing that I've taken out of this is that it's not just about drumming; it's about making music. Oh yeah, and the chicks!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I've been thinking about doing the same if the Fire department band, I play trombone for this year folds (which it probably will). There is a couple of local Fife and Drum Corps that I was thinking about joining. I've been told that is a great place to start to learn rudimental drumming. Bye the way Drum Chick I can't believe that your old enough to call yourself and old fart!!! Now me on the other hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    I've been thinking about doing the same if the Fire department band, I play trombone for this year folds (which it probably will). There is a couple of local Fife and Drum Corps that I was thinking about joining. I've been told that is a great place to start to learn rudimental drumming. Bye the way Drum Chick I can't believe that your old enough to call yourself and old fart!!! Now me on the other hand.
    I never considered myself an old fart until I started playing the drums LOL

User Info Menu

Well your to old for a drum corps band, you age out of there at 22, they boot you out, you can join a senior core though, 23+ age where the guys dont want to give up drumming just because their 30, so they go to a senior core, its a fun thing

User Info Menu

There isn't a senior core around here, not that I can find.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post

HB58
    hey hellsbells its not that hard to learn traditional once u get the hang of the rebound difference from match. i tought my self in about a weeks time like 1-2 hours a day its pretty simple just watch the snares on your line it will get habbit even if you dont wont to play traditional to put your sticks in your hand like that then have to swith lol.

User Info Menu

my school is to poor to have marching eqwipment, or a library, or even good text books for that matter, but we have the nicest wait room in the state, that only the foot ball team can use, and the nicest football field money can by. shows just what a 2 wins 15 losses is worth round hear...
    but i hear that marching is great for speed, dextarity and such
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post

HB58

Did you?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Benefits of Joining Marching Band

Quote Originally Posted by Candlelight Chaos View Post
    As a percussionist, joining a marching band will improve your understanding of music in general making you instead of just a drummer, a musician.

As a person you learn moral values that stick with you for life, such as responsibilty, and being trustworthy.

Then there are the chicks, I've met many muchachas on band competitions!

I agree.

I've been in my hs band for 2 years and sucked on snare when i started. I learned that one will not succeed without practice and dedication. Plus, band gives you lots of great experiences

User Info Menu

Maybe my question should be: How important is it to learn many different rudiments to use around your set? Is this vital in becoming a better drumset player?

Absolutely! Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Louis Bellson, Steve Gadd, Steve Smith,
    David Garibaldi, Gavin Harrison, John Bonham, Ginger Baker, Sonny Payne, Max Roach, Tony Williams anhd the list goes on and on. Every single one of these drummers and everyone else who plays the drum set cannot do so without playing rudiments. Even the most basic of the Rudiments is the Single Stroke Roll. Any pattern you play around the drum set, 8th notes, 16th notes, triplets whatever, will require certain sticking and that will be a variation of the Paradiddle. You do not have to be in marching band or a drum corps in order to learn Rudimets, a good teacher can do that with you. However, it is the discipline of hard work that will help to make you the best you can be at whatever it is you do or will do. No one who ever plays a drum should ever have to ask the question: Is it necessary to learn the Rudiments in order to play the drums. You might as well ask if it's necessary to Breathe in order to stay alive.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

marching band has great comraderie, and is insanely fun and sousa marches only get tiring the 5,050th time. =) just kiddin love j.p sousa
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Technique is a VERY common thing my drumline instructor AND my drum set teacher told me. So basically everything one instructor tells you to watch out for, the other will as well. If you heed their advice, you'll succeed very well at both drumline and set.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."