Thread: Please suggest a good Djembe for under $200

User Info Menu

Default Please suggest a good Djembe for under $200

Me and the guys I have been jamming with want to do a outdoor little acoustic session this weekend and I want to incorporate a nice hand drum.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Please suggest a good Djembe for under $200

I believe I have the LP LPA630 Aspire Tunable Djembe. It sounds GREAT. It was a gift, but I think it's about $150.

User Info Menu

Any Remo key-tuned djembe will fit the bill. This is so anti-traditional, but I never want to deal with rope tuning a drum ever again. I also don't like the inconsistent sound that they give and unpredictability in humidity. I have one each of the 10, 12, and 14 Remos and love them. All are less than $200.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Any Remo key-tuned djembe will fit the bill. This is so anti-traditional, but I never want to deal with rope tuning a drum ever again. I also don't like the inconsistent sound that they give and unpredictability in humidity. I have one each of the 10, 12, and 14 Remos and love them. All are less than $200.
    I was looking at a Plastic based Remo, you think that is a good deal for $150?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by felty View Post
    I was looking at a Plastic based Remo, you think that is a good deal for $150?
    Are you looking at the Remo Apex? Those certainly look awesome in all black, but I'm not sure about the PVC construction. It will probably have a boomy bass and pretty cracking slap, but I see the open tone being too thin sounding. I would go with any of the Remo stuff made of Acousticon. They will have a lot more body to the sound than the plastic. Plastic is for tupperware IMO, not musical instruments. I'm not sure what all is in Acousticon, but there is at least wood fiber mixed in there somewhere.

User Info Menu

I will check it out, thanks

User Info Menu

TOCA has a nice 13" Fiberglass drum with a bag that will fit this budget.

User Info Menu

I just played a 14" Toca with rope. It was so light to carry yet had such a good sound.

Would definitely choos this one over the much heavier and expensive remo.

User Info Menu

I went with a Remo 10" Advent Key Tuned Djembe

I like the sound and cheap price. I will get a better drum once I learn more with this one.

User Info Menu

How's that Advent sound? They certainly look super-cool, as I'm a huge fan of black. The problem I have with 10" drums is that there is never enough separation of sounds. The bass sound always seems to overpower and leak into the open tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    How's that Advent sound? They certainly look super-cool, as I'm a huge fan of black. The problem I have with 10" drums is that there is never enough separation of sounds. The bass sound always seems to overpower and leak into the open tone.
    This one is not that bad at all. I haven't gotten use it a lot yet but, we are doing a little back porch jam session this weekend so I will let you know how it does

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by felty View Post
    I went with a Remo 10" Advent Key Tuned Djembe

I like the sound and cheap price. I will get a better drum once I learn more with this one.
    I love mine. I use it at open mic jams and at church. I have it tuned fairly high, but I've heard them tuned lower. Sounded great either way.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.