Thread: Stanton Moore Pandiero - anyone heard one?

User Info Menu

Default Stanton Moore Pandiero - anyone heard one?

I am really interested in checking this thing out, but $100ish is too much to buy one sight unseen. I am specifically wondering what kind of projection it has. It sounds awesome (of course) in the vids with Stanton playing it, but that is close mic'ed from the bottom. I don't know if I could count on that "mini bass drum sound" from it when not mic'ed.

For reference:

I'm not sure what the sound reinforcement is in this vid, maybe nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jkxTCccV1AE

^^^^ Weird, vids usually show up right in the window for me ^^^^
    Last edited by Redeye; 03-23-2011 at 02:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stanton Moore Pandiero - anyone heard one?

I don't think it's going to incorporate well in anytype of amplified setting. Just a guess based on other pandiero's I've played with

User Info Menu

We got one in the other day, its a great idea, comes with a mount that will fit most knurled rods. my only issue with it is that his signature sound is mostly because of the fact that its mic'd from underneath. that low attack bass drum with jingles sound doesn't come through acoustically very well. but otherwise cool product. wouldn't bother playing with your hands, this thing is pretty heavy.

User Info Menu

I have his DVD and watch him play it with his set and liked it. Yes he has his mic'd and it does sound good. I have also watched a vid of someone else playing it as a hand drum and still like the tone.

I was actually planning on placing an order for one today, I have wanted one for a while now.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Heres the hand drum link......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qbLY3r90I4"]YouTube - Pandiero Techniques by Scott Kettner[/ame]
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Reminds me of a Bodhran/Tamborine highbrid.Cool but I want roto toms more.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

I have some first hand (and first foot) experience with this product.

First of all, I got to see and here Stanton play it up close and personal (unmiked) at a master class and it sounded great. (He played on my vintage Gretsch kit, how cool is that?!) I liked the sound enough to order one immediately.

It comes from the factory with an Emperor head tuned super loose. I tightened it just a hair to get a sound that I like. It works well with sticks, I'd go with a slightly lighter head if you intend on playing it by hand.

Also, I've set it up on a LP stem gajate bracket. I use it with a pedal on occasion. I find that a Vater "Vintage Bomber" strike works very well for this.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."