Thread: can anyone tell me?

User Info Menu

Default can anyone tell me?

what is the wood ply that is under the wrap of Tama Rockstars made of? Thanks gang.

User Info Menu

Default Re: can anyone tell me?

I think I remember reading it was basswood - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

User Info Menu

You are close I read it was combination Basswood/Philippine Mahogany 7 ply 9mm shells. There are some different woods used on other Rockstar depending on the year. Check the Tama website and look at some of their old catalogues and see what info you can find there. good luck

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board double j.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    You are close I read it was combination Basswood/Philippine Mahogany 7 ply 9mm shells. There are some different woods used on other Rockstar depending on the year.
    From everything I know (which sometimes is surprisingly little), I agree with PMM. The Philippine Mahogony would be the outer layers under the wrap.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    From everything I know (which sometimes is surprisingly little), I agree with PMM. The Philippine Mahogony would be the outer layers under the wrap.
    Ditto and the sound is very close to Birch

User Info Menu

Thanks all. I got my hands on 13-14-18 toms in black wrap. I want to match into my present kits, which are laquer. I hope to get lucky and the last ply will be basswood. I've pulled the covering off of a few Phillipene Mahogony, and know how much work is involved in smoothing that wood up. thanks again all.