Thread: Greetings and Advice Needed

User Info Menu

Default Greetings and Advice Needed

Hi fellow hand drummers!

I am a novice bongocero from Australia. At the moment I have an el cheapo brand bongo and am beginning to lock down the martillo pattern and some basic variants.

My question is with regard to what type of bongo should I upgrade to, once I convince my wife it is a good investment! As I'm still a beginner I'd like some help deciphering what is the next step in bongo hardware.

Based on my limited knowledge (and budget restrictions) I'm guessing I should aim to upgrade to something between LP Matadors to LP Gen II's?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Jay

User Info Menu

Default Re: Greetings and Advice Needed

Not much to say, you got it right buy LP or JCR and have fun!!!

CONGARICAN

User Info Menu

Cheers Congarican

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Greetings and Advice Needed

Welcome aboard, both JayBrone007 and Congarican!

BTW, Congarican, I dig your av picture!

As you may have seen from perusing the PERCUSSION section, you're going to get many, many opinions on which bongos are your best choice for an upgrade. Check the DRUM REVIEWS section, too, since I have posted a couple of bongo reviews from a couple years ago which may give you some useful input, including one on Remo bongos.

I currently own a pair of LP Gen II's which I purchased in 1992 and use as my "performance" drums. They've held up very well--they're very heavy, so you will definitely need a heavy-duty stand! LP makes an excellent stand for that, of course. The Gen II's hold their tune very well and will give you some serious finger pops and cracks when you need them. They're worth the extra expense--and if you're gonna be a bongosero for the long run, mate, you'll get your money's worth! Look for a good used set if your budget is tight as (dare I say this?) a bongo head.

I also own a pair of used Meinls which I found at a pawn shop; they cleaned and tuned up nicely and sound almost as great as the Gen II's, so I would give to the Meinls as well.

Take your time examining as many bongos as you can find, and be sure to test-play them if at all possible. You'll find the bongos that'll work for you, and you're gonna enjoy the search, bro'....
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks Bongobro for your sage advice. I will definitely go a filter my way through the drum reviews section now.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I have bongos from JCR, Toca and Afro.

The most important point for good tone is a quality head for Bongos.

Next the tuning hardware is important. The JCR, Toca and Afro sets have welded steel hardware like the ole' Cuban stuff. This is good stuff. The cast base plates on lower end Bongos do not last.

The JCR is the best all around with excellent hardware handforged in the Bronx of New York City by an old master Cali. Solid Mahogony Shells and excellent skins. The real deal, LP heads do not come even close. (No offense meant and just my opinion)

The Tocas and Afros are tied. My Tocas have L&H skins that are equal to the JCRs but the shells are not solid Mahogony. Nice Chrome hardware but the tone is equal to the JCR because of the head. The tone is only slightly different.

The Afros are an alltogether different animal. They have Remo NuSkyns and this does not require detuning and the tuning is more stable and they have nice pop and BASS. Real heavy and a neat 7" and 9" combo. Real cool stuff. This is like LP Rubberwood Tailand built but have that old vintage vibe. I bought them because they match my set of Afro Congas (Quinto, Conga and 2 Tumbas). Sweet set together and that vintage sound and vibe.

Whatever you buy, you need good hardware #1. Heads can be changed but the head is the source of excellent tone.

Happy drumming and enjoy the pursuit of the tone.

User Info Menu

Bongobro;

Thanks. My AV is actually a photo of a clay sculpture done by a Cuban artist that I found while walking in Old San Juan Puerto Rico. His name is Emilio Rodriguez. I was super impressed with the attention to detail that he has captured. He had two congueros sculptures, “Rumba” & “Timba”, I contacted him and asked him about them and if he was going to make them in bronze. Unfortunately, (for us) he is not. I am new to this forum and I have been reading the posts and I like your advice given to those (like me) who want to pursue the percussion. Thanks

CONGARICAN