Thread: Just played the Gothic Theater tonight

User Info Menu

Default Just played the Gothic Theater tonight

We (Itchy-O Marching Band) opened for the Ukelele Loki Gadabout Orchestra and headliner March Fourth Marching Band... who, if you've never seen or heard them, HIT GOOGLE NOW!

These folks are like the Gogol Bordello of marching bands: scruffy, bohemian, sexy, and UNBELIEVABLY talented!

The crowd was crazy for all of us. Remarkable to me that in the age of Beiber and Gaga, something like a marching band show will draw a crowd and have them DANCING the entire night.

This is ABSOLUTELY the BEST thing I've ever done for myself, joining a marching band at 49. We'll see what my back says tomorrow after wearing a fog machine and strobe light along with the bass drum...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just played the Gothic Theater tonight

Quote Originally Posted by helloprobie View Post
    We (Itchy-O Marching Band) opened for the Ukelele Loki Gadabout Orchestra and headliner March Fourth Marching Band... who, if you've never seen or heard them, HIT GOOGLE NOW!

These folks are like the Gogol Bordello of marching bands: scruffy, bohemian, sexy, and UNBELIEVABLY talented!

The crowd was crazy for all of us. Remarkable to me that in the age of Beiber and Gaga, something like a marching band show will draw a crowd and have them DANCING the entire night.

This is ABSOLUTELY the BEST thing I've ever done for myself, joining a marching band at 49. We'll see what my back says tomorrow after wearing a fog machine and strobe light along with the bass drum...
    So I feel you have just introduced me to a completely new genre of music that I am in love with. I am VERY into Marching Band/DCI, but this has an attitude and looseness that is never found there. Are there other groups like these out there? I would love to hear more!

Tan
    Tan

User Info Menu

Wish I caught this sooner. I live in Denver but have not been to the Gothic yet. Woulda been a great reason to go... and I'm really digging the IOMB. Let me know how to find your next gig.
    Last edited by Scottie_Guns; 03-27-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

@ Scottie Guns- friend us on FB, that should do it.

http://www.facebook.com/itchyO

@ SnareTan- also check out:

Boba Fett and The Americans
    Extra Action Marching Band
    Hunger March Band

and there are festivals called 'HONK!' in various cities that are primarily attended by marching bands like us and the others.

Googling 'underground marching bands' will yield some fun, too.

Of course, you could always start your own...

User Info Menu

@Helloprobie - I love it. I'm just curious about the origination. When/where do you guys reherse? Where do you guys get your music? What is a typical rehearsal like for you guys? What is the average age? How many gigs do you guys get? Sorry, I know that's a lot to throw at you, but it looks like it would be a blast to be a part of. Coming from a strict drum corps/competition style marching band, I am blown away.

Thanks,

Tan

User Info Menu

@Tan: Okay... We rehearsed pretty regularly for about 9 months, usually in the leaders' basement, sometimes outside (which is MUCH easier on the ears)... now we rehearse maybe twice before a gig.

All music (with the exception of Wild Mountain, a Crash Worship song) is original, written by the founder. The man delivers, and promotes relentlessly, and it pays off.

Just won us a Westword 'Best of Denver', too.

Typical rehearsals are 2 to 2 1/2 hours long and pretty cramped... and I'll say the average age is 37... maybe a bit higher.

We crashed a LOT of places, events, etc., and started to get noticed (though, to be fair, how could we NOT get noticed?), then hired. One of our first paid gigs was a childrens' birthday party. We're building a solid reputation based on originality, professionalism, and GIANT BRASS BALLS.

We're finishing up our first album, and we leave for the West Coast in June.

Man, sometimes you just gotta DO it. 5, 10 years ago, if someone had told me I'd be touring with a techno-marching band when I turned 50, I would have laughed and laughed.

Yet here I am.

DO IT!

DO IT NOW!
    Last edited by drummer; 04-04-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Language

User Info Menu

Helloprobie,

Tell me about the instruments. It appears on the percussion side, that a lot of guerrilla marching bands have weird instrumentation with pieced together percussion rigs. Is there any thought that goes into it, or is it just a grab what you can and play what you can mentality. What works and what doesn't?

Tan

User Info Menu

Alright, Holmes, here's the thing.

Now we're getting into proprietary information. This was a DIY venture from the start. The founder is somewhat of an electronics whiz, and there are a number of us that have built our own rigs. It is very formulaic for us and the sound we cultivate, and how it comes across in public.

Necessity is a mother, and Zappa is the Mother of Invention. What you gotta realize is there was a HELL of a lot of trial and error involved in getting to out present state. Like everything, it was a progression. We are constantly upgrading, adding, refining...

Don't be offended, but I really enjoy this gig, and won't give up the company secrets without full European Tour travel, accommodation and expenses for all 32 of us, and we are an eccentric bunch.

Seriously, if there's a Noise scene in your town, those are he folks you want to consult with electronically, then find a bunch of geeks who want to subvert the norm with mobile cognitive dissonance at semi-regular intervals, Google 'used marching band uniforms', and have the hell at it.

Think of something. Build on it. Send out a 'call for players' on Craigslist. Brainstorm. Write original. Interpret covers. Find a style. Find a groove.

Here's a link: http://musicformaniacs.blogspot.com/...rch-forth.html

You'll dig this

User Info Menu

The Gothic is a sick gig to get your hands on! Congrats!. I wish I knew sooner too, I live in the springs, this would have been sweet to see.
    -Steven