Thread: Rings - The Kind You Wear on Your Fingers

User Info Menu

Default Rings - The Kind You Wear on Your Fingers

I only wear one; my wedding ring. I have noticed it interfering with my playing. How do you deal with that. I have taken it off and put in the change pocket of my jeans, but this would not work with pants with no change pocket. I am concerned about misplacing it. I'd say something about being old and absent minded, but I've always been that way.

Thanx in advance.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rings - The Kind You Wear on Your Fingers

My wedding ring is a very thin, medium wide gold band. I chose this so it wouldn't interfere with my job mainly, but it works great for drumming also. It doesn't interfere at all. If your wife won't get mad, leave it at home; always in the same place.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

ThePloughman Guest

Dont wear any. Fingers are more important than unnecessary symbols. Besides, after 29 years I just look married.

User Info Menu

If you love your wife as much as I love mine.,,,, do what I do, at times. wear your ring on a 24k gold chain around your neck. with the top button down on your shirt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Besides, after 29 years I just look married.
    That is so goin in my sig lol.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I don't wear mine when I play...it stays at home. I put it in my pocket one time at work and LOST IT! Talk about being devastated. Fortunately, a security guard found it a couple weeks later and turned it in at the lost and found. Man, I thought that I'd never see it again. Now, whenever I'm going to do something that my ring may get in the way, I just don't wear it. If it's not going to be on my finger, it stays on a tray on top of my dresser. After losing it once and being very fortunate to have it back, my wife has no problem with it. Another ring just wouldn't be the same...period!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    If you love your wife as much as I love mine.,,,, do what I do, at times. wear your ring on a 24k gold chain around your neck. with the top button down on your shirt.
    I'm to paranoid after losing it once.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Thanx, again, guys. All good suggestions. I never thought I'd ever be playing drums when I got hitched nearly 28 years ago. I think the chain idea will work. the scar from my open heart surgery isn't too obvious any more.

Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Yeah, i can't stand to have any rings or watches on me when playing...shoot I even empty my pant pockets including my wallet in my back pocket...I feel off balance with it on!

User Info Menu

I wear my wedding ring when I play. It doesn't really effect me either way. However, it does effect my guitar and bass playing. But I deal with it.

ThePloughman Guest

When I got married, I worked in a SawMill, a ring is the absolute last thing you need.
    For the last 27 years, I have worked in construction. Catching a ring on a nail head, or a splinter is not a pretty sight. I think I quit wearing mine in the first year, even after hours. We got robbed about 20 years ago, they were stolen, we never replaced them. I just do not wear jewelry, not even a watch.

User Info Menu

When I was in High School I tried drumming with my class ring on. It was very uncomfortable and even would "zing" you sometimes if you hit a rim shot just right. So I didn't wear it.

When I got married....I told my wife that I expected a similar problem....and that I would most likely not wear the ring when I gigged. However...the wedding band was much smaller and I never had any issues.

Two years ago.....I finally retired my 16 year old wedding band, and bought a new one. It was thicker....and wouldn't you know it gave me some "Zing" issues now and then. So....I went back to the jewelers.....exchanged the ring, and bought a smaller one -I have no problems.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Yes I like the chain idea most! and if you are playing hand drums more reason to take off rings..you can always get a ring tatoo! ??
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Rings - The Kind You Wear on Your Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Dont wear any. Fingers are more important than unnecessary symbols. Besides, after 29 years I just look married.
    Make that nearly 27 for me...I still have a dent in my left ring finger from where my rings used to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Keck View Post
    Thanx, again, guys. All good suggestions. I never thought I'd ever be playing drums when I got hitched nearly 28 years ago. I think the chain idea will work. the scar from my open heart surgery isn't too obvious any more.

Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't.
    That last part is goin' into my sig, man...

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Yes I like the chain idea most! and if you are playing hand drums more reason to take off rings..you can always get a ring tatoo! ??
    Anyone have a ring tat? How much does it cost, how long does it take, and how painful is it?

I literally beat my first wedding band into an egg shape by banging it against bongo and conga rims (before losing it); lost my wife's wedding band (which I ended up wearing after losing ithe first band; I've even lost several inexpensive bands I bought at Walmart (an endless chain design which looked cool but also took off when playing)! So a ring tat may be in order!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Jack, I have one of those clip-on key rings, you know the type that clip onto you belt or jean's belt loop? Pop your ring onto the clip, that's what I do....you'll never lose them then.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

bongobro, I can't tell you about cost or pain, but I have seen them on guys and asked "why" and they tell me what has been echoed here..keeps from getting caught in machine, or construction work..I have had problems in past with construction jobs, but never did it. maybe someone will pipe up and let the rest of know.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

i just have my wedding ring, it doesn't bother me so i never take it off, i cannot wear a watch while i play though.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Gawd, haven't worn a watch for years, usually use my mobile for the time nowadays LOL
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Drumbledore;380644]Jack, I have one of those clip-on key rings, you know the type that clip onto you belt or jean's belt loop? Pop your ring onto the clip, that's what I do....you'll never lose them then.

[QUOTE]

GREAT IDEA!!! In fact, I already have one of these keyrings. We have a winner!

Thanx again!
    Last edited by Jack Keck; 03-28-2011 at 07:37 AM.
    Jack

User Info Menu

I do not wear a ring either. I have a few but don't regularly wear them. Construction work and safety concerns along with handdrumming issues. I like the ring tattoo proposal. I plan to build drums soon this is another issue.

Ring on chain #1 and ring tat #2.

Happy drumming

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Yeah, i can't stand to have any rings or watches on me when playing...shoot I even empty my pant pockets including my wallet in my back pocket...I feel off balance with it on!
    I have to go "naked" as well. The same happens when I bowl. I have been horrified a couple of times after finding I forgot to remove my $19.95 retro Casio during the first set break.