Thread: Instructional DVDs

User Info Menu

Default Instructional DVDs

Hi,

I'm going to take up playing the drums. Can anyone recommend a good drum instruction DVD for a complete beginner?

Thanks,

Paul.

User Info Menu

Hi Paul and welcome to DRUM CHAT!

There are many on the market. Drum Bum has a nice one for beginners here:

http://store.drumbum.com/sku-DVD-25.html

Also, don't forget to visit DrumTips.com for thousands of free tips.

User Info Menu

My first instructional dvd was the Musicians Institute: Ray Luzier - Double bass techniques, coordination, and fills.
    Ask your local Guitar Center or music store about it. It's really helpful.

Welcome
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

ian paice - not for the pros

dave weckl - back to basics (absolutely great for beginners)

User Info Menu

Call me old fashioned (no really, call me "Old Fashioned") but for an absolute beginner, a drum teacher will always be the best bet. The DVD's and that are good and very helpfull, especially if there is a particular style or technique you'r trying to master, BUT, when you first start, how you hold your stick, the motion you make when you play a stroke, and many other things can't be corrected by a DVD. An instructor can watch you and give you tips about things you are doing that will improve you further and can focus on key areas that need attention, instead of you thinking your doing it right, when in fact you could be doing it so much better.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for music books and DVD's being used and instructional videos on youtube and all that sort of stuff, but at least at the very beginning to help you get strated an instructor would surely be the best option.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Dave Weckl's DVDs are absolutely amazing for all drummers beginner to advanced, I strongly suggest him.

Also Tommy Igoes groove essentials is a really good one.

User Info Menu

tommy igoe i def agree with, i have 2 good dvd's--

one is steve jordan's the groove is here, he's really amazing and presents lots of good info and advice, with some really good close ups of what he's playing--

and for tuning i have one with bob gatzen which helped me immensely with tuning my drums to sound good, hes goofy but you can tell he knows what he's talking about

these were both referred to me by an associate at guitar center too btw

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=lildrummerboi]
    and for tuning i have one with bob gatzen which helped me immensely with tuning my drums to sound good, hes goofy but you can tell he knows what he's talking about (/QUOTE]

Man is he goofy, but very informative, probabaly the best tuning DVD ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    Call me old fashioned (no really, call me "Old Fashioned") but for an absolute beginner, a drum teacher will always be the best bet. The DVD's and that are good and very helpfull, especially if there is a particular style or technique you'r trying to master, BUT, when you first start, how you hold your stick, the motion you make when you play a stroke, and many other things can't be corrected by a DVD. An instructor can watch you and give you tips about things you are doing that will improve you further and can focus on key areas that need attention, instead of you thinking your doing it right, when in fact you could be doing it so much better.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for music books and DVD's being used and instructional videos on youtube and all that sort of stuff, but at least at the very beginning to help you get strated an instructor would surely be the best option.
    True. DVD's are good for revisiting your begging lessons. Maybe get a dvd and a few lessons because dvd's cant tell you when your doing techniques wrong and your always trying to keep up with them you dont really get time to learn much.... (I find anyways. But i dont use the pause button again hard when your learning :S)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger

I have been arguing this point with my husband from the beginning. He says after six months, he'll pay for it but otherwise it is a waste of money. I am taking voice lessons and dance lessons and he doesn't want to pay for more lessons. I pointed out that I could be doing everything WRONG and need to relearn it. Even one or two lessons could make sure I am doing correct tecnique. Maybe you could come over here and straighten him out for me.

User Info Menu

Fully in agreement with crazymanwithaplunger.

Get some lessons at least when you're starting. DVDs, Books etc. can come after you've learnt the very basics.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?