Thread: Something for the Audience....

User Info Menu

Default Something for the Audience....

Hi,

I am currently working on a drum solo and want to include some fancy tricks to get the audience going, however my "trick" creativity seems to have died after I almost ripped my new scaffolding out of my ear one practice session, so this leads me to the question - Other than spinning what else can I do with my sticks, or better yet my kit to grab the audiences attention when doing a solo?

Any help would be incredibly grateful.

Joel
    "Don't drink water, fish have sex in it"

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Something for the Audience....

How high's the ceiling? Toss those sticks WAY up in the air. Catching them on the way back down may or may not be possible!

User Info Menu

burn your stick

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

A couple notions -

Chad Sexton of 311 does an extended solo in the song "Applied Science," where the other band members get a floor tom with a cymbal extension and they do this drum corp style thing. They've been doing it for years. What if you included the rest of the band somehow?

Cross over/helicopter double stroke rolls on the toms are subtle, but look cool. Think tenor/drumline.

Play backwards, with your back facing the crowd for a portion, do a rhythm while running/circling your kit.
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc. Deep Amber

10" Zildjian Titanium ZXT Splash | 14" Zildjian A Quick Beat Hi-Hats | 17" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 19" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Here's an idea....right after you hit the last note on your drum solo....Poof ! ( you do a disappearing act)...when the smoke clears, you're gone !
    Last edited by nio; 03-29-2011 at 04:53 PM.

User Info Menu

The around the back of the hand one isnt twirling much.If you have a double bass or double pedals you can always do a bass beat with your hands in the air.For some reason people think it is amazing that you can play without using your hands,lol.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N9mo07CLVo"]YouTube - stick trick lesson[/ame]
    Last edited by LudwigLifer; 03-29-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Solo hints: Keep it short, fast and interesting to the NON drummers in the audience.

User Info Menu

GO find that Mad Drummer vid on YT. He's got plenty of tricks....Steve Moore with Rick K and the Allnighters. Some of it looks pretty spastic, but he never misses a beat.

I'm still new here, so if that's old hat, apologies. I just saw the vid of "Sharp Dressed Man" with him for the first time this week.

Randy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 66musicmaster View Post
    GO find that Mad Drummer vid on YT. He's got plenty of tricks....Steve Moore with Rick K and the Allnighters. Some of it looks pretty spastic, but he never misses a beat.

I'm still new here, so if that's old hat, apologies. I just saw the vid of "Sharp Dressed Man" with him for the first time this week.

Randy
    it comes to surface every now any again, i think i last saw it here last year some time.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Solo hints: Keep it short, fast and interesting to the NON drummers in the audience.
    I agree with this.

Drummers OVERATE Drum solos.

I look at it this way:

1. Most wont recognize the most complicated thing you do - let alone appreciate it.

2. Most wont recognize strange time signatures - intricate patterns or rudiments.

3. Simple fast rolls around the kit and solid cymbal work seem to get the best response. RLK RLK RLK RLK RLK RLK around the kit makes people go crazy. Ugh...

4. Your solo can actually bring out your worst - than your best. Keep it simple and short. Almost "Tease-like" - don't lose the crowd.

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Short and 'cool' is better than long and 'cool'.

I have an old Ozzy concert on VHS and the drummer stands up and walks around his kit during his solo. He 'kind of' keeps a rythym, but it didn't look easy as one wrong step and he has a five-foot drop - that and he has to negotiate around all the stands and stuff. Kinda silly really, but it was entertaining and the crowd seemed to like it.

Strap yourself down and go Tommy Lee style through the air.

Anything with fire.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I agree with this.
    Drummers OVERATE Drum solos.

I look at it this way:
    1. Most wont recognize the most complicated thing you do - let alone appreciate it.
    2. Most wont recognize strange time signatures - intricate patterns or rudiments.
    3. Simple fast rolls around the kit and solid cymbal work seem to get the best response. RLK RLK RLK RLK RLK RLK around the kit makes people go crazy. Ugh...
    4. Your solo can actually bring out your worst - than your best. Keep it simple and short. Almost "Tease-like" - don't lose the crowd.
    Like Cameron on Modern Family....

User Info Menu

Fast, simple rolls and big, obvious movements. Also it seems that the harder you hit, the more the crowd loves it.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Humor. Everyone is willing to enjoy humor with you. Most don't give a darn about how serious you can be. They just don't care. Finding your own comedy on the drums is probably the hardest thing you will ever do on a kit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRIpqK5w63w"]YouTube - Johnny Rabb & Benny Greb_Funny moments at M. festival[/ame]

User Info Menu

Want to keep the audience entertained? Lots of fast rolls and quads... bland, I know.

Sometimes it's better to just give them what they want. Fast + Loud = Complicated and awesome to their ears.

User Info Menu

Great video!

User Info Menu

I've recently started trying to bounce the stick off the snare drum and let it fly up and then catch it on the way down. When it goes well, the stick flies straight up spinning quickly and I can catch it. When it goes not so well, I get hit in the face Another cool thing I saw was at a Sevendust show. Morgan Rose will throw a stick out to a band or audience member and then they will throw it back and he tries to catch it and keep playing. Always thought that looked cool.