Thread: Snare wire

User Info Menu

Question Snare wire

on my snare, if my reso head is even slightly low (dont use) i use high tunings on my snare, it sounds ridiculous. buzzz. When i hit on my snare, it rings like 3 secs after? and my snare is fully tuned also. my tom buzz isn't bad at all. idk if its my reso head, snares wearing out. they are equally tensioned against the reso head. no spaces in between the snares. no signs of wear and tear. ohh Btw they are the stock heads that came with the snare. ive had the snare since january of this year..... what is the problem guys??????? thanks

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Snare wire

Could you tell us what kind of snare?

Size, shell material. Describe how you set your wires. describe where the wire tension knob on the throw off is in relation to its path of travel on the adjustment screw. For instance... I generally will set my throw off in the bottom third of its path of travel, then with the throw engaged, the drum bottom side up, I will center the snares and tighten one side, then pull a bit on the strings as I tighten the other side. Then adjust as necessary. This allows for some tightening of the wire tension, and all the loosening you would ever want. Proper wire set up, and throw off tension, are essential to a good sounding snare drum.

As for tuning.... over tensioning the lugs can cause head failures, and eventually, can cause hardware failures. Sometimes these can be catastrophic and can result in irreparable damage to the shell, hoops, and or Lugs. Also... define "high tunings."

I would like to be able to help you.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare wire

It sounds like you have uneven tensions at each lug. I would undo the snares, de tension all the lugs, and start over. Make sure you are using even turns at all the lugs, whether they be 90 degrees of rotation, 180 degrees, or a full 360. For tensioning the snare wires themselves, I loosen the throwoff all the way out, engage it, and then put the snares on. Then I just start tightening the throwoff till the snares feel/sound right.
    2 full (360) turns on the batter head
    2.5 full turns turns on the reso, should give you a nice tight, bright sound.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi