Thread: Plastic Walls?

User Info Menu

Default Plastic Walls?

Maybe a dumb question, but I was watching a band play the other day on the tube and the drummer had like 5 foot high clear plastic walls around him. I am sure it is for some sound reason...to maybe try to keep his mics from picking up other stuff or other mics from picking up drums??? Do they get a clearer final sound??? Or are they bullet proof and he is such junk that someone may want to shoot him??? Is this some new wave thingy or what? It looks pretty freaky to me!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Plastic Walls?

PG, the shield can be used for a couple of reasons. If it is in front of the drummer, it is to block some of the sound of the drums. This could be used in a venue that is not high volume, if the drummer is a heavy hitter. Another reason shields could be used is if more volume is required, like in an outdoor venue when the drums are not mic'ed. In this case, the shield would be placed behind the drummer to reflect sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah, what PB said. There's a mate of mine, Nick Pansini over here in Sydney that when he's not working at Billy Hyde's or playing with Abbalance, has a nice little sideline manufacturing not only acrylic drums, but he does those clear plastic sound shields too. Keeps him busy.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

It also helps stop the flying tomatoes when they get thrown at the drummer.

User Info Menu

^^lol flying tomateos always remind me of the muppet show for some reason...

Our church drummer uses a shield almost every weekend, unless they bring out the full orchestra.

Would the shield have any value as a sound blocker/deadener inside a home? What if you hung sound deadening materials on it and placed it in front of the kit? (at home)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tselanne View Post

Would the shield have any value as a sound blocker/deadener inside a home? What if you hung sound deadening materials on it and placed it in front of the kit? (at home)
    I'm sure, but it would probably be WAAAAAAY cheaper to just build them with plywood or something and put the sound deadening on there.
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc. Deep Amber

10" Zildjian Titanium ZXT Splash | 14" Zildjian A Quick Beat Hi-Hats | 17" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 19" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Only drawback from using a shield is that if no floor monitors or earbuds monitors are provided, hearing the rest of the band is very difficult with the sound of the kit bouncing back towards the drum set.

User Info Menu

we use them to keep the drums out of the vocal mics.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

My studio is finished with plastic all around the room but this is by choice cause the room is not finshed all you see is the vapor barrier ceiling to floor does that count for anything.My drums sound good in there

User Info Menu

It's a 90's thing! Better making an absorbent flex barrier that plexi-glass. Drum booth walls out of plywood and hinges with sound foam on the inside. More help look up home recording. Lots of site to help you. .02 -