Thread: Trigger problems?

User Info Menu

Default Trigger problems?

Hi all, I am in a bit of a jam. I am playing with a band using a very cool electric setup and I have to use their equipment. The drumset is an old Pulse kit with mesh heads and DDrums triggers. I have played electric drums quite a bit in the past - I own a DTXplorer - but I am having a bit of trouble with this particular set. I play a lot of ghost notes on the snare, and I use a lot of drag-based or double stroke combinations while playing, and it seems that I get a lot of misfires. When we change the velocity curve to catch the double strokes, the trigger becomes so sensitive that single notes trigger it twice, or (in the other direction) I get random misfires. The sound man is the owner of the kit and he makes the adjustments for me....he is very experienced with the triggers and the brain.

As it sits, there is no tension on the mesh heads. I am wondering if a little more tension might make the trigger a little more responsive. I have never played with this type of setup before, so any ideas and suggestions will be helpful. Right now I find myself changing my style of playing to fit the drums....yuck. Thanks!
    When in doubt, leave it out
    http://www.bandmix.com/rhythmstick

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trigger problems?

Tighten up the heads to a tension that feels "normal" to play on.

User Info Menu

The only thing I have to add is to turn up the sensitivity,but Im sure he already tried that.Tightening the heads would be my next move.Good luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys....hopefully the sound guy will allow me to adjust the tension. They are his drums and they are the only drums he wants hooked to his system. When I asked about the tension of the heads, he told me there isn't supposed to be any It's been a nightmare trying to get these things adjusted.
    When in doubt, leave it out
    http://www.bandmix.com/rhythmstick