Thread: Gretsch Catalina Maple\Ash\Birch?

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Catalina Maple\Ash\Birch?

Anyone had the chance to compare the Gretsch Catalina Maple\Ash\Birch?

I'm considering the Gretsch Catalina. I don't understand why the birch set is more then the maple. Also the Birch set does not show up on Gretsch drums web site in their products. Anyone know why this is?

- Kazi
    Last edited by drummer; 05-22-2007 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

You are a very strong considerer lol.
    I own a birch Catalina and it sounds beautiful, carries well and delivers great tone in the toms. The snare is a little iffy, but you could trade it in for a better one.
    I hear maple gives an awesome powerful sound so I can't say know to that idea. The ash, however, I wouldn't recommend after playing it in Guitar Center and being pretty unsatisfied.
    But the Catalina is definately a great sounding set for as cheap as they come. Good thinkin, man. Welcome!

And check out musicians friend instead of their website... I think I remember seeing the birch set on there.
    Last edited by 32ndHeartBeat; 05-17-2007 at 03:51 PM.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Recently I just bought the last Catalina Birch set that our local guitar center had. Gretsch is discontinuing the Birch Catalina line, not sure why. I like the Tone of mine, they were sold out of the Maple sets at the time so I didn't get a chance to compare them side by side. Because the Birch set was discontinued I got mine really cheap (being the floor model and the last one) I got mine $200 cheaper than the maple set.

User Info Menu

Well apparently the Birch actually goes for more then the Maple right now. The dealer double checked with his supplier and it's $100 more then maple. He thought this was odd, but maybe it's got a unique sound and it's the result of supply and demand.

Thanks. I'll probably go for the maple.

Now to decide on whether or not to get the Pacific Drums by DW MX or the Maple Catalina. The Catalina comes with an extra 16'' tom and a double bass peddle the DW MX comes with an extra cymbol stand..

Decisions decisions..

User Info Menu

not being biased but the Gretsch sounds like a better deal to me with that 16 Tom. that sounds really nice too by the way. I got the birch 16 and its a great sound.

User Info Menu

Yeah i'd go with the catalina too for that deal - double pedal and an extra tom - can't beat that.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

yeah the Gretsch kits are really nice. I've got the renown maple kit which i think is only a step up from the catalina and it sounds awesome. I love the sound of maple

User Info Menu

I wish my set came with a sweet deal like that.
    I've seen the birch 16's but haven't seen the 18's. Do they exist?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

No, they don't exist. They are a figment of imagination brought about through post-hypnotic suggestion when really there is nothing there at all..........not even me. i'm not even here, none of this here..............nothing is real........trust no one...............
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

gretsch for sure

User Info Menu

Gretsch is cool. Being stuck in australia i never really heard of anything but mapex tama and pearl. Ever since i been listening to obscure metal and that. I found out about gretsch and ludwig. Would definatly get one of those two if they had better access in oz!

User Info Menu

the market for Gretsch is growing in Australia. Billy Hydes is slowly bringing them into stock now too...there is demand for them big time.