Thread: Mic/Recording set up for Bongos(or hand percussion instruments in general)

User Info Menu

Default Mic/Recording set up for Bongos(or hand percussion instruments in general)

I posed this question in the percussion section but did not get much of a response, any help would be appreciated

I would like to record myself playing bongos more so for my own curiousness than anything else.

So my question is, what is the best set up to mic up bongos? Dynamic or condenser mic? What compression ratio? etc.

For what it's worth the hardware i have to use is a Rode S1 stage condenser mic and a Behringer Shark compressor/noise gate.

Cheers

JayBrone007

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mic/Recording set up for Bongos(or hand percussion instruments in general)

What are you recording into?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mic/Recording set up for Bongos(or hand percussion instruments in general)

Condenser mic>compresser/noisegate>Audigy soundcard>Cubase

User Info Menu

Sounds like a reasonable set up. I am not familiar with bongo drums and mic placement so went to some of the recording forums and here is some info on mic placement.... "Place the mic about 1 to 1 1/2 feet away and pointing a bit more towards the "macho" (the smaller drum). The "hembra"(the bigger drum) is usually very resonnant and if the mic placement is in the middle, you can lose most of the bright sounding "macho." Tunning is also a big factor. For salsa I use a very high, tight and bright tune. I don't know what type of music you are doing but if you need any recommendations I am glad to help because I am a latin percussionist(congas,bongo,timbal,guiro,maracas, bata, quica, cajon, panderos, barriles and regular old rock and roll drums.)"

User Info Menu

Thanks for that. I had seen something similar to that on the net somewhere too. I thought someone might have some 'rules of thumb'...