Thread: Second snare? Advise.

User Info Menu

Default Second snare? Advise.

So I found what I consider to be an awesome deal on craigslist. This 5x14 Gretsch 10 ply maple snare for $150 (although I have not checked it out in person yet). I was considering getting this as a second snare for a bit of a warmer sound. I currently play a Tama Steel Metalworks 6.5x14 snare with a Gretsch Catalina Birch set. I guess my question is do you think that this snare would be good investment as a second snare? Do you think that it will give me a much different sound that what I can get from my steel snare? I was thinking that the maple snare would give me a warmer sound while my current snare has sharp crack and attack. Any thoughts? Thank you.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=snaresub&sid=603
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Default Re: Second snare? Advise.

For $150, that seems like a good deal if it's in decent shape. In answer to your question, it should make a nice second snare, and it will have warmer sound than you metal snare.

Now, are you thinking of this as a second snare that you can change out as a primary snare, or will this be a second snare on the kit?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I am thinking to change out as a primary snare.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

For changing out as a primary snare, i would go for it, assuming that it is in good shape.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Awesome thanks.

User Info Menu

That snare is going for $300 new at GC, so yeah, if its in good shape, that will be a very good deal.

50% of the new cost is the general rule, give or take obviously depending on condition.

Good luck!.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

I just switched from a Gretsch Full Custom maple snare (5.5 x 14) to a metal 6.5 x 14 Pearl Sig Snare (Ian Paice). I found the maple less warm - snare was not as deep and thus much more crack - and it was loud! So warmth depends on a few things, its not always just in wood vs. metal. Your deal is a good one, and a good contrast from your Tama, but depending on head choice and tuning, you may find it actually less warm (its only 5" deep)...that was the result to my ear.

User Info Menu

SAS (snare acquisition syndrome) is never a bad thing to satisfy, especially at that price.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Second snare? Advise.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicandrum View Post
    So I found what I consider to be an awesome deal on craigslist. This 5x14 Gretsch 10 ply maple snare for $150 (although I have not checked it out in person yet). I was considering getting this as a second snare for a bit of a warmer sound. I currently play a Tama Steel Metalworks 6.5x14 snare with a Gretsch Catalina Birch set. I guess my question is do you think that this snare would be good investment as a second snare? Do you think that it will give me a much different sound that what I can get from my steel snare? I was thinking that the maple snare would give me a warmer sound while my current snare has sharp crack and attack. Any thoughts? Thank you.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=snaresub&sid=603
    Just a suggestion here how about spending extra and get a Pearl MCX Natural color it will match any kit. MCX snare are becoming more and more popular on this site cause of the price ( underpriced for it's sound and quality) and their sound is very versatile and warm. Just a thought but if you prefer a Gretsch snare then go for it.

User Info Menu

Worrying about whether the maple will sound different compared to the metal, is not as significant as head choice and tuning.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice. So with the thought that drumhead and tuning play into gaining a warmer sound. If I were to purchase this particular snare how would you suggest tuning it to obtain a warmer sound to constrast my other snare? What type of head? I have an evans power center reverse dot on the tama that I really like but not sure if it will help in gaining a warm sound on the Gretsch.

User Info Menu

Maybe just a plain ol' Evans G2 or G1?
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I think maple sounds best with a one-ply coated top (Ambassador, G1, etc) with no extra stuff attached. Use a little moon-gel or a tone ring if you need, and use a thin, clear bottom tuned a bit higher than the top. A Genera Dry (with vent holes) sounds AWESOME on a shallow maple drum with no muffling. Get a tight, studio crack from it, then play your metal drum medium low and super ringy on the left side for a nice 2 drum setup. I do that with a Yamaha maple drum and a left side Acrolite. It works really well.

Add a wood rim and you might have a heavenly sound.
    Last edited by Redeye; 03-29-2011 at 09:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Can't help on the tuning. I only know how to tune high and bright. But there are others who like the warm snare drums. They can help.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

That 5" deep snare might be a bit of a challenge to get some real warm tones out of but if you put a double ply head (Evans G2 is a good one) with no muffling on it and tune it medium tight it might do the trick.
    Buy some Moongels just to experiment with a little muffling if you like.

If it were mine I would put an Evans G1 coated drumhead on, crank it high and let it CRACK! and POP! until my head exploaded.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Second snare? Advise.

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    Maybe just a plain ol' Evans G2
    I've got one on my 13"x8" Ayotte. Search "Drum Tuning Bible", I'm glad I did.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Tuning and head choice will make a difference. You want to choose heads that naturally fit the drum and the sound you are looking for. I have two snares, both 6.5" x 14". The first is a 20-ply vented snare that I want to sound like a gunshot. So, I have an Evans ST on it cranked up. The second is a 6-ply meant for a warmer, jazzier sound. It has a G1 that is tuned in the middle region.

Additionally, how tight you keep the snares makes a difference. I keep the vented snares very tight and the 6-ply's snares relatively loose. This helps accentuate the difference between them. In the end all of these things combined will help contrast the sound between your primary and secondary snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    A Genera Dry (with vent holes) sounds AWESOME on a shallow maple drum with no muffling.
    I'm a big fan of Evans Genera HD Dry heads (it's the one with the tiny vent holes around the edge) to take care of the overring and allow the warmer tones to come out. With the maple snare being a 14X5, this might be just what you are lokking for, so I agree with Shane.

User Info Menu

I was a big fan of the Evan's Genera HD heads until I switched to the Evan's EC frosted with reverse dot. Beautiful looking head and the sound his unbelievable. Depending on where you hit the head the sounds are there. You want overtones or you don't this head gives you choices and great rim shot action etc. No moongel needed as it sound great by itself if well tuned.