Thread: Old Drum Gear

User Info Menu

Default Old Drum Gear

Ok, well now I'm going to ask for some advice.

I've got some old drum gear... a Yamaha drum machine and an Alesis D4, that I'm thinking of selling. Problem is; I won't get anywhere even close to what they're worth. I paid $700 for the drum machine and $400 for the D4. This was about 15 years ago.

Am I just stupid to sell them? Would I be better off just holding on to them and milking them for what they're worth, or am I working with technology that's just too old and outdated? I could use some opinions on this. I'm really on the fence.

User Info Menu

It's hard to say really - if you can use them, then you may as well, becuase they are so old. If you really don't need or want them anymore, should prob just get rid of them and get what you can for them. Technology is never an investment because it always gets cheaper, and the older it gets the less useful it is. Look at a modern equivalant to hepl you decide - can you even get something nowadays that does what they do? if so, how much? Can you get something better for less money, or would it cost more?

I mean, electronic technology is always tricky - especially if you've had something for a long time, you're familiar with it, you know it's limitations, and you've often figured out how to do particualr things with it, really maximising it's potential. If you replace it wiht something new, how much better off will you be? Will you need to re-learn everything again?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I think if they still fit your needs, why not keep using them? If they don't, then don't look at what you paid for them, focus on all the use you got out of them, that's what you paid for. Plus you have a chance to help out someone newly entering the game by giving them a good deal on something they can afford and will appreciate.

User Info Menu

try ebay

User Info Menu

If you can still use them, keep'em.

If they are of no use for you, then sell them for whatever you can, and spend the money on new gear you will use.

User Info Menu

It's funny, with accoustic equipment "usually" the value goes up the older it is (or at least stays the same) i.e. vintage Luddy's, Gretch, Fender Strats, etc.

With electronic equipment, the older it gets, the more the value goes down (with some exceptions, i.e. Marshall Tube Stacks, etc.). I would venture to say that the equipment you have drummer has probably been upgraded numerous times to where a similar piece of equipment has more capabilities, is probably smaller in size and more reliable plus is less expensive now (comparably) than it was back then. CMP makes a good argument re. your capabilities with the piece of equipment that you have but, with a new piece of equipment, knowing what you know and how to manipulate the output, could you get more out of it (the new piece of equipment)? Your learning curve on the new piece of equipment will probably be faster because of your experience with the older equipment. And, you can't look at what you can get for it now because you've already amortized out the current piece of equipment's usefulness vs. price paid therefore anything you get for it is a bonus. Think of it like this... you start out with a cheap drumset, you get better, you upgrade, sell the old one. The old set outlived it's usefulness, you spent more on the new kit but the new kit sounds so much better because of it's construction and your increased abilities from what you learned on the cheap kit. You'll never get what you paid for the original kit but you're happy cuz it got you to where you are and you recouped some of your expense on the new kit. No?? Just a thought.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Man, we've got some intelligent people in here. Thanks for your input guys. It helps.

User Info Menu

Amen to that, Drummer!! Sort of dispells that persistant myth about drummers!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Amen to that, Drummer!! Sort of dispells that persistant myth about drummers!

I'm glad you mentioned it. I am starting to deny that I am a drummer because of that myth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina View Post
    I think if they still fit your needs, why not keep using them? If they don't, then don't look at what you paid for them, focus on all the use you got out of them, that's what you paid for. Plus you have a chance to help out someone newly entering the game by giving them a good deal on something they can afford and will appreciate.
    I agree completely.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Keep them, they might be worth money down the road. Right now for sure they're not worth much but as industry changes your goods may make a surge in popularity. As we know analog recording gear did in the past few years as well as vintage amps and even drums really. It all cycles in time. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

Not a bad idea, Middleman, if one does not need the money from the old gear to purchase the new gear. You are right that what was once old is apparently new again. On the other hand, although the technology is new again, the manufacturing may have been upgraded.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Would you be interested in selling the Alesis DS4? I would be interested in purchasing it from you if the price was right.