Thread: Using multiple interfaces.

User Info Menu

Default Using multiple interfaces.

As of now I have a Zoom H4. It can be used as an interface and has to XLR inputs on the bottom. I want to have a minimalist approach to recording drums and have a few questions:

I dont really have the money or need for a huge interface, as the Zoom has two ports, I was thinking about buying another two port USB interface, but dont know if they could both be running at the same time in music editing software (IE will there be issues with syncing ect). I was planning on having the Zoom with two overheads, and the other setup with the bass mic (two bass if Im micing two bass drums, or a bass and a room mic).

Just curious if it was possible without any issues to have the two interfaces work cohesively in music editing software.

Thanks for any help!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Using multiple interfaces.

If you want a minimalist approach, why not just use the Zooms internal mics? Ive gotten some great results recording that way.

User Info Menu

They are pretty amazing, but I can never get a strong enough bass drum sound. I was going to just buy a bass mic and use the internal mics, but apparently when you use the XLR ports it disables the internal mics, which really bummed me out.

User Info Menu

What you are wanting to do is called aggregating A/D interfaces and very few units have that ability. It is not only a function of the interface device but the software as well. Also, you run into a problem with the internal word clock. One will have to the be the master word clock and the other would have to slave to the master word clock. I don't know a lot about that interface but OI am betting it would not work. Your software would see one unit or the other but not both. That is why there are so many multi input interfaces available rather than buying a two input unit and daisy chaining them together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    They are pretty amazing, but I can never get a strong enough bass drum sound. I was going to just buy a bass mic and use the internal mics, but apparently when you use the XLR ports it disables the internal mics, which really bummed me out.
    Although i don't personally own the H4, our guitar player does, and he says that he has 4 separate tracks recording from the unit.....maybe revisit the manual?